Removing Plasti-Dip From Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Extensive experience with Dip removal. This is kinda messy, but it works great! Spray whatever you want to remove with WD40. Cheap and easy. Let it sit a while and spray it off. Might have to use your fingers a little to get it started, but it works. Good.

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Extensive experience with Dip removal. This is kinda messy, but it works great! Spray whatever you want to remove with WD40. Cheap and easy. Let it sit a while and spray it off. Might have to use your fingers a little to get it started, but it works. Good.

Good luck!!!

Hadn't dipped the Rap yet? :)

Thanks! Never considered WD40, spray it off with hose or pressure?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hadn't dipped the Rap yet? :)

Thanks! Never considered WD40, spray it off with hose or pressure?

I guess I've only removed it by hand in the past. If you have a stiffer brush or something, you could probably use a garden hose.....

No, haven't dipped the whole truck yet. I've got a ton of other stuff going on right now. Maybe next month......

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Dipping the whole truck doesn't seem to be popular with these trucks, lol. Had I known how much time I'd spend taping off stuff I may would have changed my mind, lol. Or at least gone with one color.

Hope you get yours done soon, curious to see how it'll look.

MichaelChad

Reaction score
It's a very different game painting the large surfaces. Speed, and a good pattern are the name of the game. It took me a very long time to be able to spray a whole car at once without over spraying onto a dry panel or leaving trails.

If you want to increase your chances, tape off the sides, and paint just the hood, roof, and TG on the first run. After ample dry time use low tack tape to cover those panels, and then do the sides. That keeps a enough separation between work areas that you don't have to worry about contaminating them. The hood and roof are the hardest ones to get perfect too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I definitely can see that, one thing I'm glad is that it's at least flat spraying.. Getting in and out of the bed over and over again to spray roof sucked! haha! Roof was a SOB

I have it mostly taped off now. They say hindsight is 20/20, should have painted main color first and then did trim. Easier to tape off that way