Remote Features Disabled to Preserve Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oddworld

Reaction score
Summary:
I've received this message on FordPass a few times, once while the battery was actively charging on a 5 Amp Battery Tender: "remote features disabled to preserve battery". Surely the battery was not low, so what's going on?

Truck:
* Gen 3 Raptor, 2022
* 1,200 miles
* Never had an issue starting

History:
* 350 miles - first message received. Shrugged my shoulders and connected a 12V 5Amp AGM Battery Tender to top up on juice
* 750 miles - received another message. Charged overnight with the Battery Tender.
* 1,200 miles - (1) went on a 2-hour long drive, (2) washed truck and connected to Battery Tender for no real reason, (3) after the truck had been connected to the Battery Tender for six hours (and while at a normal voltage and still being connected to the Battery Tender), received the message again

Question:

If the battery is at a normal voltage, and still connected to the charger, why would the "remote features disabled" message pop-up? It almost seems like a software bug. Thoughts?

Thanks

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've stopped using Fordpass, so I probably wouldn't even notice. I'd stop using the tender and see if the problem goes away. There's a processor and software in the tender and a bug there could maybe glitch the voltage. Dunno. If it happens regularly without the tender, I'd probably take it in because I spend a lot of time in the backcountry out of cell range and want reliability above all.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you are getting a fordpass notification, there will be stored data faults, so should be a relatively easy diagnosis

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How are you connecting the battery charger? If you connect directly to the positive and negative terminals, the battery current sensor cannot see the current flow. So regardless of how much you charge it, all it will see is the current being drawn. The charger should be connected to the positive battery terminal and the negative to engine or chassis ground. If the message continues to appear then the battery state of charge may need to be reset.

OP
OP
oddworld

oddworld

Reaction score
How are you connecting the battery charger? If you connect directly to the positive and negative terminals, the battery current sensor cannot see the current flow. So regardless of how much you charge it, all it will see is the current being drawn. The charger should be connected to the positive battery terminal and the negative to engine or chassis ground. If the message continues to appear then the battery state of charge may need to be reset.
Whoah - really?
Yes, I've always (for the last 25 years) connected straight to the battery terminals. This is my first "modern" vehicle, and I've never owned a truck with a current sensor.
So, I should connect negative charge lead to chassis, rather than battery negative?

How do you reset the battery's state of charge?

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summary:
I've received this message on FordPass a few times, once while the battery was actively charging on a 5 Amp Battery Tender: "remote features disabled to preserve battery". Surely the battery was not low, so what's going on?

Truck:
* Gen 3 Raptor, 2022
* 1,200 miles
* Never had an issue starting

History:
* 350 miles - first message received. Shrugged my shoulders and connected a 12V 5Amp AGM Battery Tender to top up on juice
* 750 miles - received another message. Charged overnight with the Battery Tender.
* 1,200 miles - (1) went on a 2-hour long drive, (2) washed truck and connected to Battery Tender for no real reason, (3) after the truck had been connected to the Battery Tender for six hours (and while at a normal voltage and still being connected to the Battery Tender), received the message again

Question:

If the battery is at a normal voltage, and still connected to the charger, why would the "remote features disabled" message pop-up? It almost seems like a software bug. Thoughts?

Thanks
I was having this issue of repeatedly getting the disabled features notification and low battery charge. I did 3 things and it solved my issue.

Manual states that battery tender negative cable should be attached to frame or body ground not negative terminal. Can cause issues with the battery management sensor. I had also disconnected the battery while installing some lights which can require resetting of the battery management system. Fix was listed in manual, think it was flashing the high beams a couple times and then pressing the brake pedal or something.

The other issue I changed was not installing any accessory’s directly to the negative terminal on the battery. I had a SPOD wired to the battery terminals. Instead using frame/body grounds. Manual states it can affect the battery sensor.

After dealing with the problem for a few weeks I watched the battery voltage while driving. These trucks have variable output alternators and it wasn’t kicking on the alternator as needed. After resetting everything I am getting 13.5-14.5 volts most of the time. Seems the system was not calling on the alternator to charge the battery while driving.

Last thing I did, after resetting the sensor was to let the truck sit locked for over 8hrs. Manual states it takes at least 8hrs, without being woken up for the system to fully calibrate.

Manual has all this information listed but I just did what I’ve always done. The new tech in these trucks have a lot of sensors.

Edit: looks like @FordTechOne said something similar on resetting battery sensor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oddworld

oddworld

Reaction score
I was having this issue of repeatedly getting the disabled features notification and low battery charge. I did 3 things and it solved my issue.

Manual states that battery tender negative cable should be attached to frame or body ground not negative terminal. Can cause issues with the battery management sensor. I had also disconnected the battery while installing some lights which can require resetting of the battery management system. Fix was listed in manual, think it was flashing the high beams a couple times and then pressing the brake pedal or something.

The other issue I changed was not installing any accessory’s directly to the negative terminal on the battery. I had a SPOD wired to the battery terminals. Instead using frame/body grounds. Manual states it can affect the battery sensor.

After dealing with the problem for a few weeks I watched the battery voltage while driving. These trucks have variable output alternators and it wasn’t kicking on the alternator as needed. After resetting everything I am getting 13.5-14.5 volts most of the time. Seems the system was not calling on the alternator to charge the battery while driving.

Manual has all this information listed but I just did what I’ve always done. The new tech in these trucks have a lot of sensors.

Edit: looks like @FordTechOne said something similar on resetting battery sensor.
Hot damn - thanks.

I reset the battery sensor, and now the battery seems to be charging at 13.5V (previously 12.0V).
Also, you're correct on charging. Page 495 of the manual clearly warns customers not to use the negative battery lead for anything. Instead, use chassis ground - and there seems to be plenty of chassis ground connections within the engine compartment.

Appreciate everyone's comments on this one. Several lessons learned, and I can imagine most other Raptor owners would benefit from this thread. I'm viewing this as "solved" for now, but will report back if I see the error again.

Thanks again

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whoah - really?
Yes, I've always (for the last 25 years) connected straight to the battery terminals. This is my first "modern" vehicle, and I've never owned a truck with a current sensor.
So, I should connect negative charge lead to chassis, rather than battery negative?

How do you reset the battery's state of charge?
The battery SOC will reset after an 8 hour period of the vehicle remaining undisturbed. It can also be reset with a scan tool.