Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the truth.

With every vehicle ever, you have folks who have had issue after issue, then you have people like myself whom never had a issue at 168k on their trucks. Just stock some cash up for a rainy day.

I will admit, just 2k ago I did my rear diff pinion and that was $900 out the door done.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptors (2020, 2021, and 2023) have been relatively problem free, that's why I keep buying them. I had a brief stint with a 2022 Tundra Capstone that had a plethora of electronics gremlins, bad window seals, bed rattles, and interior rattles. Ended up selling that truck and found out about a couple of weeks ago it was one of the Tundra's with metal shavings in the bearing housing, so the bearing was starved for oil and spun. $43,000 warranty repair according to the new owner, Toyota is fighting some customers on it as well. There's been a large number of main bearings being spun, Toyota is then only offering a short block replacement. Not the brand I've been told Toyota is.

Last edited:

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One mans experience: I owned 3 tundras from 2004 to 2017. Never had any issues that couldnt be resolved at a dealer during an oil change (except that time they punctured my radiator during an oil change and had to replace it...SMH). Drove them nearly 220k miles without issue. Went off road frequently but not "off road" like with my Raptors. I have owned 3 raptors since 2017. 1 gen2 and 2 gen3's. 120k miles in total. I have had two visits to the dealer for easy fixes outside of oil changes, and replaced two batteries under warranty well before I should have needed to. More electrical glitching than the Tundra for sure, but not enough that I even think about or notice. Day one in the Raptor I was sold. The driving experience is not comparable. I would never consider going back to a Tundra, and I really liked mine. I dont have any experience with the newest version, but Im confident in what it is and isnt. Without some serious aftermarket love it is one of the worst looking trucks I have ever seen. Seriously, stock Tundras should just be driven to the rest home and parked.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. came from a 2020 tundra Pro. driving these two trucks is night and day. no comparison. Just try a raptor in sport or baja mode, and you'll never drive another boring toyota ever again

Reaction score
I also traded in a 2022 Tundra a couple months ago for a 23 raptor. Raptor is superior in fit/finish, ride quality, tech. I had lots of little issues w/my Tundra, and was glad to get out before the engine grenaded on me.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 8

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've currently got 24k on my 2021 that I've owned since it was delivered in September of 2021 - I can say that this is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned without a doubt. I know that's very little by way of mileage but it's all I've got to go off of with the truck. It's held up well being parked underneath a tree for 2+ years now, covered in snow and frequently sees single degree temps. From a reliability standpoint the only issue I've had was the exhaust rattle. Like any vehicle just be religious about your oil changes and these motors should last you. If you have a sunroof, do the krytox seal maintenance to avoid any leakage issues for the interior.

I've had both the 2.7 (currently has 80k on it while mostly pulling a trailer - no issues) and the 3.5 with zero troubles. Ford has been doing the TT a while now, Tundra is just now getting the treatment and going through the growing pains.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've owned two Toyotas. One was amazing. I had to do real maintenance every 30k, yes, but I got 145k trouble-free miles. The second was a huge disappointment. The front hubs were a bad design, they howled like a monkey getting reamed every time it got really cold. Toyota told me it was normal so **** off. My mechanic told me it was a known problem but expensive to fix. I finally dumped it around 100k because I hated it so much. It's probably still running somewhere and making someone miserable. :) I never bought another Toyota because they wouldn't stand behind their product and because the ergonomics quit working for me. It's like they decided to accommodate tall people by lowering the seats instead of raising the roof. It's hilarious when my boomer/Toyota/koolaid friends get in the Raptor. The first comment is always about the great visibility. It gets better from there. :)

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 Tacoma had the valves and cylinder head replaced at 24K and the O2 sensor at 46k. My '23 Raptor is currently in the shop for the drivers door seal rattle many people seem to have, but that's only because of my OCD. My wife even shakes her head when I bitch about it.

Bulletproof reliability is an excellent concept that some models can brag about but at the end of the day, most of us don't keep them long enough to worry about it. I personally have only owned one vehicle in 25 years that I kept past the manufacturer powertrain warranty.

I love the Tacoma (new one is very appealing to me) and am generally a fan of Toyota but I've recently realized that I no longer want to drive boring vehicles. The Raptor R cost to performance isn't down my alley but I look forward to whatever the next 'economy' Raptor turns out to be.

That being said, I respect how some people really just need something that takes them from A to B and they drive it until the wheels fall off. Life is far too short for that to me, however.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 Tacoma had the valves and cylinder head replaced at 24K and the O2 sensor at 46k. My '23 Raptor is currently in the shop for the drivers door seal rattle many people seem to have, but that's only because of my OCD. My wife even shakes her head when I bitch about it.

Bulletproof reliability is an excellent concept that some models can brag about but at the end of the day, most of us don't keep them long enough to worry about it. I personally have only owned one vehicle in 25 years that I kept past the manufacturer powertrain warranty.

I love the Tacoma (new one is very appealing to me) and am generally a fan of Toyota but I've recently realized that I no longer want to drive boring vehicles. The Raptor R cost to performance isn't down my alley but I look forward to whatever the next 'economy' Raptor turns out to be.

That being said, I respect how some people really just need something that takes them from A to B and they drive it until the wheels fall off. Life is far too short for that to me, however.
you summed me up exactly. I don't drive enough to take advantage of the reliability, thats for the 3-4th owner most likely. Life is too short to drive boring vehicles, and toyotas are just boring. Its not like they are cheap either.

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you summed me up exactly. I don't drive enough to take advantage of the reliability, thats for the 3-4th owner most likely. Life is too short to drive boring vehicles, and toyotas are just boring. Its not like they are cheap either.
The new TRD Pro is likely to be $60k+. That’s ridiculous.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forums concentrate complaints. Everyone wants help, wants to vent, etc, the second anything goes wrong. If I had a dime for every first-time poster complaining of a problem, I'd have so many dimes they wouldn't fit in my garage. You can show your buddy this from the January 2024 Consumer Reports, page 55. Take all appropriate grains of salt because they're woke and hate gas guzzlers in general. Tundra wasn't last, but it was close.
View attachment 440729
lol, subaru and Mini toward the top.... i dont think id trust any of this