Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2022 37PP now has over 24,000 miles. Truck has been great. There is a rattle in normal exhaust mode on cold startup that disappears when I switch to quiet mode, which is where I keep it for my daily commute.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my 2nd gen and 3rd gen raptors have been more solid than my 2014 Tundra. I had more issues with that truck than I thought I would. Im no longer disillusioned by the Tundra reliability, and I had the “indestructible” 5.7. Now the boring 4Runner I had was flawless, but it’s actually built in Japan. Tundra is built by ******* guys like me in Texas.

If I had one vehicle to pick that I needed to take to 500K miles, I wouldn’t pick anything other than a 4Runner….but that is not my relaity…so who cares. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jpro39

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. I use to get company cars and have had everything from Subaru to Chevy they all had recalls some serious. Ford seems to have good bones just some electrical issues from time to time. From what I’ve heard the 10sp shared across ford and GM is really solid. I think Honda even uses it now.

OP
OP
J

Jpro39

Reaction score
Thanks for this! It’s crazy how the depending on the Silverado it’s either at the top or near the bottom. No consistency.

OP
OP
J

Jpro39

Reaction score
Both my 2nd gen and 3rd gen raptors have been more solid than my 2014 Tundra. I had more issues with that truck than I thought I would. Im no longer disillusioned by the Tundra reliability, and I had the “indestructible” 5.7. Now the boring 4Runner I had was flawless, but it’s actually built in Japan. Tundra is built by ******* guys like me in Texas.

If I had one vehicle to pick that I needed to take to 500K miles, I wouldn’t pick anything other than a 4Runner….but that is not my relaity…so who cares. lol
Yeah there’s something to the 4Runner being one of the most basic/simple vehicles with no change in over a decade that screams reliability. I like suvs but that is too small for what I need

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone been a long time raptor owner or an owner of a gen3 since 2021? My neighbor is saying ford is garbage and break all the time unlike the tundra. Just would like some perspective on this.
I have almost 45,000 on my 2021 Gen 3. I have had the couple recalls and still have a couple of gremlins that Ford can't seem to find or be able to fix on my truck. These are annoying, but overall they are minor. My truck has never received an OTA update and I have intermittent issues with what I think is my IWE's that the dealer never seems to notice whenever I take it to them to look at it. The truck itself runs great and has been reliable except the couple times my truck battery was mysteriously dead. I haven't had any other mechanical issues to complain about. I had more issues and more expensive issues barely past warranty with my past GMC Yukon than this Ford at the same mileage.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One mans experience: I owned 3 tundras from 2004 to 2017. Never had any issues that couldnt be resolved at a dealer during an oil change (except that time they punctured my radiator during an oil change and had to replace it...SMH). Drove them nearly 220k miles without issue. Went off road frequently but not "off road" like with my Raptors. I have owned 3 raptors since 2017. 1 gen2 and 2 gen3's. 120k miles in total. I have had two visits to the dealer for easy fixes outside of oil changes, and replaced two batteries under warranty well before I should have needed to. More electrical glitching than the Tundra for sure, but not enough that I even think about or notice. Day one in the Raptor I was sold. The driving experience is not comparable. I would never consider going back to a Tundra, and I really liked mine. I dont have any experience with the newest version, but Im confident in what it is and isnt. Without some serious aftermarket love it is one of the worst looking trucks I have ever seen. Seriously, stock Tundras should just be driven to the rest home and parked.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there’s something to the 4Runner being one of the most basic/simple vehicles with no change in over a decade that screams reliability. I like suvs but that is too small for what I need
Oh I definitely don't recommend the 4runner ....unless....you have to drive across Africa 100 times.

I used to buy vehicles because of the "it'll go 300K miles without major problems". I realized, Ill never do that because I don't want to own a car for 25 years. Buy what you like.....

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost 45,000 on my 2021 Gen 3. I have had the couple recalls and still have a couple of gremlins that Ford can't seem to find or be able to fix on my truck. These are annoying, but overall they are minor. My truck has never received an OTA update and I have intermittent issues with what I think is my IWE's that the dealer never seems to notice whenever I take it to them to look at it. The truck itself runs great and has been reliable except the couple times my truck battery was mysteriously dead. I haven't had any other mechanical issues to complain about. I had more issues and more expensive issues barely past warranty with my past GMC Yukon than this Ford at the same mileage.
ditto on zero OTA updates for my 21