Red Hot Turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
Your glowing exhaust housing on that turbo is cause for concern. It means either your EGT's are way too high from too lean of a tune or your cats are clogged and the exhaust gases are not escaping fast enough to dissipate the heat. Either way you're cooking your exhaust housing, turbine wheel, CHRA and possible your pistons.

If both sides are glowing then I would tend to learn towards a tune problem. Running too lean increases EGT's. If only one side is glowing I would go with something restricting the exhaust flow like a clogged cat.

Both Sides glowing. When we did do a trip a few months ago some people behind me did say I was having a lot of black exhaust. So maybe the cats are cooked. I did do that once on my old rap.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Black smoke is usually a sign of running too rich, which could clog the cats if it has been going on long enough. the fact that your seeing black smoke means that enough of the cats internal surface is clogged to allow the smoke to bypass it to be seen out the exhaust pipe. So your looking at an over rich tune dumping too much fuel into the system which has probably clogged the cats.

I actually just had this exact scenario happen on my other turbo car. We never locked in the fuel scaling for the new injectors so it was running way too rich when it got into boost. The Random Tech high flow cat took the brunt of it to the point that it melted the cat internally and starting spitting hot metal flakes out the exhaust from the cat cooking itself. Luckily my turbo's are billet so they could handle the heat. Did burn up 3 exhaust valves though. Heads needed reworked anyways so it was an excuse to get them done.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
was because Ford had figured out how to keep the fluids circulating with the engine off.

Pretty much any modern turbo motor has after run cooling. In fords case, they circulate engine oil or coolant for a period of time after the motor shuts off. Each manufacturer has a different strategy.

Turbo times or cool down periods have been obsolete for almost 20 years

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both Sides glowing. When we did do a trip a few months ago some people behind me did say I was having a lot of black exhaust. So maybe the cats are cooked. I did do that once on my old rap.

Sounds like a good excuse for some new high flow cats and downpipes.