Recipe for long term gains w/ lower warranty concern?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah I was looking @ MPT as well - I like that they include trans tuning (honestly I wouldn't even consider a tune that didn't), & it def sounds like they're going to have a better tune for peak power/performance, but I'm not looking to push the limits of the stock turbos and/or have a DD that shifts rough etc. I'm purposely going w/ gearhead over mpt assuming it'll be a bit "tamer".

I specifically asked MPT to give me smooth shifting in Normal Mode, so mine does not have the harsh shifting others have reported. It shifts hard in Sport Mode, which gives me the best of both worlds.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go Cobb stage 2 and be done with it. I tow my travel trailer which weighs 6k lbs up and over the sierra's frequently and the trans has never gotten hot by any means. I do put the tune to stage 0 while towing however.
Nobody likes cutting up a brand new truck but the FMIC is the way to go. Less space claim constrained than the stock location, uses the FEAD driven fan for heat rejection as opposed to the tiny dual electric fans. Eliminates a lot of complexity with the charge air system and frees up a ton of room for frame cut bumpers (or not), etc. Once you reach a certain level of boost on your truck with the stock CAC you are going to be power limited based on intake air temps. Just do it right the first time and go big.

Chris_S

Reaction score
I've been implementing a similar conservative plan as well. I have the MPT tune in place and have the Swarfworks license place relocation bracket installed. I have been monitoring my air temps while deciding on an intercooler. I am leaning towards a Mishimoto or Whipple. I have been wanting to get a ford performance exhaust, but exhausts don't seem to do much on these trucks.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just go Cobb stage 2 and be done with it. Just do it right the first time and go big.

Fur_pig is right, just add the Cobb stage 2 and done with it. I just finished installing my Cobb stage 2 on my 2017 Screw and WHAT a difference!!! It’s like a different truck.

When I did mine a year ago, Cobb was not an option... :(

I wanted a tune with plenty of power for my 37s and one that changed my transmission in Sport Mode. MPT ticked both of those boxes, so I went with it. If I were doing it again today, Cobb Stage 2 would be high on my list to consider.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just go Cobb stage 2 and be done with it. I tow my travel trailer which weighs 6k lbs up and over the sierra's frequently and the trans has never gotten hot by any means. I do put the tune to stage 0 while towing however.
Nobody likes cutting up a brand new truck but the FMIC is the way to go. Less space claim constrained than the stock location, uses the FEAD driven fan for heat rejection as opposed to the tiny dual electric fans. Eliminates a lot of complexity with the charge air system and frees up a ton of room for frame cut bumpers (or not), etc. Once you reach a certain level of boost on your truck with the stock CAC you are going to be power limited based on intake air temps. Just do it right the first time and go big.

I’m not looking for the most power, I know I’m leaving some on the table....but I’m looking for LONG TERM keeping the truck, passing emissions, not drawing unnecessary attention from dealer in event of warranty concern, etc.

So I want to keep the boost as close to stock levels as possible, but I want the truck to run smoother/cooler/better overall- & I want to clean the tranny logic up. Putt Cobb stage 2 just raises the bright red “look @ my mods & blame em for whatever’s wrong” flag.

I don’t want to install anything that would otherwise throw a code on a stock vehicle either (like cobbs CAI for instance despite the proven power gains) & is obvious for a dealer to point out & take note of.

For instance Even though I think a catch can is probably a good idea for keeping Raptor info high miles- I’m skeptical about putting one on since a) they’re impossible to hide unlike some I’ve seen/used on N/A V8 vehicles the raptor catch cans are massive by comparison w/ multiple tubes, big cans etc & b) the “best” one I’ve seen based on research throws a code.

I’m pretty sure if I did everything but the tune- the tranny cooler, stock mount intercooler upgrade & SP542 plugs w/ a better filter element in the stock air box even on stock tune running 93 octane esp I’m guessing I’d have solid power gains even noticeable SOTP & I think a dealer would be hard pressed to notice the mods, let alone be able to blame them for anything unless they were installed wrong.

Lastly- while I’m sure you’re right that the Cobb stage 2 setup you’re running makes great power & is probably one of the best bangs for the buck out there- besides the fact I don’t want a huge FMIC it’s my understanding Cobb doesn’t touch the trans tuning....in which case even though they’re reputable & supposedly on the conservative side w/ their tunes, I personally wouldn’t even consider a tune that didn’t adjust the transmission on an automatic equipped vehicle if there were other options out there that did. And when it comes that it’s really common in the domestic V8 muscle car world where guys posting the biggest gains on the dyno don’t always translate to actual performance @ the track or from a roll on the street b/c the tranny shifts like a ******* w/ stock or poor custom logic/tuning.

We got 10 speeds- Theres a lot to play w/ there.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been implementing a similar conservative plan as well. I have the MPT tune in place and have the Swarfworks license place relocation bracket installed. I have been monitoring my air temps while deciding on an intercooler. I am leaning towards a Mishimoto or Whipple. I have been wanting to get a ford performance exhaust, but exhausts don't seem to do much on these trucks.

I’m really torn on the cooler both seem like good units but as I got sucked into internet archives of tuner forums in mid 2000s seem to be some complaints out of the ricer crowd that mishimoto had lower quality over some
Others but also seemed like it could’ve been chalked up to Chinese knockoffs circulating.

Did you notice the plate move actually helping temps?

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what you do, installing CAI, FMIC, Installing a tune or just tune the transmission. When you bring your truck into the dealer to get a warranty works done, the dealer will know the ECU has been tune and de-tuned when they hook up their master ECU reader. The truck ECU has memery that show the EUC been flashed before. If you don’t want the dealer to mess with your warranty, it’s easy. Just leave your truck untouched.

DieselGuy

Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone know what the specific terms are regarding the warranty and/or has first hand knowledge of how a dealer reacts to a tuned truck. I’m like the OP as I’d love to gain some extra power and the Cobb looks really attractive, but will it in fact void my warranty or is it really a subjective, case-by-case situation based on how the service shop feels that particular day?!

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is completely up to the dealer for most small things. When you go to get your cam phasers replaced, that will be a fifty / fifty shot if you are picking up the tab. Is it worth gamble?