Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I quick update before it all gets away from me. I'm compiling a spreadsheet which I will upload here once it's all complete so anybody can have the information and reference it. So far it has a chart on it that will give you compression test values. I was also going to include all of the inspection dimensions for the parts, but the version of the manual I got has data for all engines except the 6.2... of course. My second tab currently holds all of my research data for shopping list items. Has P/N's, pricing and sources, that I used to whittle down the list of items I purchased. And for now the 3rd tab has all of the torque values and sequences.

When I do the swap, I'll try to document it in a different thread. Yes, when.

So let's talk figures since we're interested. Obviously this is a UMMV situation. So the original budget I mentioned was set with me trying to get out for around $2000 all in for a rebuild, in hopes that I could get around $3k for the motor.

Initial workup at the machine shop put me around $1k worth of work, so I had another grand to spend on necessary parts. I could have made that if I would have kept it to just bare bones necessities. Now that the scope has shifted, I'm okay with spending a little more for high quality parts and also to replace anything I feel like I should while I have the chance. So yesterday I dropped about $1900 on parts... Ouch.

Here's the breakdown

Order 1 from Summit
CLE-CB1944H Clevite Rod Bearing Set -Race- $151.92
CLE-MS2344H Clevite Main Bearing Set -Race- $105.99
MAN-598300C-8 Manley Piston Set - Forged- $703.99
Tax $67.33
Total $1,029.23

High end bearing and pistons. Fun fact, the standard bearings and other parts are on nationwide back order, but race parts are still available in small quantities. The parts shortage is real though. I believe these parts are already in transit and will be here as early as tomorrow. Machine shop wants pistons in-hand so he can size the bores properly.

Order 2 from Tasca
Part Number
Part Name Price Quantity Total
AU7Z-6079-C Valve Grind Gasket Kit $114.24 1 $114.24
AU7Z-6E078-B Lower Gasket Kit $48.27 1 $48.27
AL3Z-6A340-A Crankshaft Pulley Bolt $14.95 1 $14.95
AL3Z-6065-C Engine Cylinder Head Bolt $2.86 20 $57.20
6M8Z-6731-AA Filter Assembly $6.22 2 $12.44
LC2Z-6375-A Automatic Transmission Flex-Plate $45.36 1 $45.36
AL3Z-6200-C Connecting Rod $36.89 1 $36.89

Subtotal: $329.35
Shipping: $100.89
Tax: $30.10
Total: $460.34

Gaskets, fasteners, cam phaser filters, new flexplate/flywheel and I'm having to save on the connecting rod. Only replacing the broken one with OEM. Can't afford the Manley's. Is what it is. So the build is somewhere between a stock and nice build. I'm doing what I can. Like every time I order from Tasca, who knows when I'll start seeing parts.

Order 3 from Rock Auto
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total

FORD AL3Z6754A Dip Stick Tube $ 17.71
DENSO 2805315 Starter Motor $ 103.79 $ 34.00 (core) $ 137.79
DORMAN 03117 Exhaust Flange Stud and Nut $ 5.72 x 4 $ 22.88
FEL-PRO SS72954 Valve Stem Seal kit $ 21.79
MELLING VS1611 Valve Spring $ 5.86 x 4 $ 23.44
MOTORCRAFT RT1234 Thermostat $ 11.73
WESTAR ETK042 (ETK-042) Motor Mount Kit $ 123.79

Discount $ -16.26
Shipping $ 38.96
Tax $ 26.74
Order Total $ 408.57

New dip stick tube because I'm pretty sure I trashed the old one yanking it out. New starter because I know I definitely never want to change one again. Valve springs and seals and thermostat for good measure. Bought the motor mount kit because it was cheaper than the individual components so I'll get a spare trans mount for an F150 that I don't have a use for but might put on my father-in-laws truck. Parts already inbound just like always with Rock. I should have the complete order within the next couple of days.

So running total looks like this so far:

Machine work ~$1000
Parts - $1029.23 + 460.34 + 408.57 = $1898.14
Total = $2898.14 budget blown

Definitely doesn't include some of the miscellaneous parts I've purchased like cleaning supplies and stuff.
Definitely could have spent more or saved more in certain areas.

Parts that I considered purchasing but have not yet to keep the spending down:
Cam Phaser bolts because I can't find them. Finding the filter numbers was hard enough
Exhaust manifold fasteners $50
Flexplate bolts $61
Lower Radiator hose $64 (mine is fairly new so hopefully won't leak)
One of the valve covers is busted so I'll probably end up replacing it

The decision to go with the Manley forged pistons was actually made pretty easy since they come with rings and pins (they're an offset pin design as well) and once I considered the Mahle pistons plus rings and OEM pins (if I were to get a complete set) only came out to a difference of around $80.

I'm also considering dropping some money on an engine stand and a parts washer at this point as well. We'll see. Again, this data is really relevant to my specific situation, but if it helps anybody, then great.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good! Cam phasers have filters? Did you consider maybe all the valve springs? Good to hear you found what you could so far...

Thanks man. Yup, they have filters. Something I learned as well, or at least I hope the information is relevant. I've actually not cracked that sprocket cover open to check. At least it's a cheap part if not. And yes, I'm doing all the springs. That qty is misleading because they're sold in packs of 4. But I'll be doing all seals and springs for sure.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What were a good set of rods going for from Manley, just curious? So dumb question here, do you plan on polishing the block and heads a bit to look like new or can a guy paint those parts?

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were a good set of rods going for from Manley, just curious? So dumb question here, do you plan on polishing the block and heads a bit to look like new or can a guy paint those parts?

It's a good question... One I wished you didn't ask. Here's why; Originally I had only priced out the high end I-Beam rods from Manley (P/N 14322-8). Those run about $1488 a set and are good for anything over 800 horse. BUT, since you asked, I remembered that they offer an H-Beam set (P/N 14045-8), so I looked them up and they run in the $600's and are good for up to 750 horse... ******** you!

Regarding polishing, are you meaning the exterior for aesthetics? No, I hadn't considered polishing. He's going to hone the cylinders back to a nice cross hatch for me since, in his words, I 'dingleberried' them using a drill hone to pull the pistons nice and easy. He's also doing full valve job but not a port/polish in the heads. Regarding bling, I considered maybe just throwing some of that Ford Racing Blue paint on the valve covers to give it some pop. Always been a fan of that look, but also not an over the top person when it comes to bling. Not gonna be a show truck, ever.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a good question... One I wished you didn't ask. Here's why; Originally I had only priced out the high end I-Beam rods from Manley (P/N 14322-8). Those run about $1488 a set and are good for anything over 800 horse. BUT, since you asked, I remembered that they offer an H-Beam set (P/N 14045-8), so I looked them up and they run in the $600's and are good for up to 750 horse... ******** you!

Regarding polishing, are you meaning the exterior for aesthetics? No, I hadn't considered polishing. He's going to hone the cylinders back to a nice cross hatch for me since, in his words, I 'dingleberried' them using a drill hone to pull the pistons nice and easy. He's also doing full valve job but not a port/polish in the heads. Regarding bling, I considered maybe just throwing some of that Ford Racing Blue paint on the valve covers to give it some pop. Always been a fan of that look, but also not an over the top person when it comes to bling. Not gonna be a show truck, ever.
$600 for a good set of rods seems worth it. Yeah, I meant the outside of the engine, I have ocd, lol, so I would paint the block and heads black, and Blue sounds good for the valve covers. It's not too overly expensive so far. Good job!

Jross993

Reaction score
I quick update before it all gets away from me. I'm compiling a spreadsheet which I will upload here once it's all complete so anybody can have the information and reference it. So far it has a chart on it that will give you compression test values. I was also going to include all of the inspection dimensions for the parts, but the version of the manual I got has data for all engines except the 6.2... of course. My second tab currently holds all of my research data for shopping list items. Has P/N's, pricing and sources, that I used to whittle down the list of items I purchased. And for now the 3rd tab has all of the torque values and sequences.

When I do the swap, I'll try to document it in a different thread. Yes, when.

So let's talk figures since we're interested. Obviously this is a UMMV situation. So the original budget I mentioned was set with me trying to get out for around $2000 all in for a rebuild, in hopes that I could get around $3k for the motor.

Initial workup at the machine shop put me around $1k worth of work, so I had another grand to spend on necessary parts. I could have made that if I would have kept it to just bare bones necessities. Now that the scope has shifted, I'm okay with spending a little more for high quality parts and also to replace anything I feel like I should while I have the chance. So yesterday I dropped about $1900 on parts... Ouch.

Here's the breakdown

Order 1 from Summit
CLE-CB1944H Clevite Rod Bearing Set -Race- $151.92
CLE-MS2344H Clevite Main Bearing Set -Race- $105.99
MAN-598300C-8 Manley Piston Set - Forged- $703.99
Tax $67.33
Total $1,029.23

High end bearing and pistons. Fun fact, the standard bearings and other parts are on nationwide back order, but race parts are still available in small quantities. The parts shortage is real though. I believe these parts are already in transit and will be here as early as tomorrow. Machine shop wants pistons in-hand so he can size the bores properly.

Order 2 from Tasca
Part Number
Part Name Price Quantity Total
AU7Z-6079-C Valve Grind Gasket Kit $114.24 1 $114.24
AU7Z-6E078-B Lower Gasket Kit $48.27 1 $48.27
AL3Z-6A340-A Crankshaft Pulley Bolt $14.95 1 $14.95
AL3Z-6065-C Engine Cylinder Head Bolt $2.86 20 $57.20
6M8Z-6731-AA Filter Assembly $6.22 2 $12.44
LC2Z-6375-A Automatic Transmission Flex-Plate $45.36 1 $45.36
AL3Z-6200-C Connecting Rod $36.89 1 $36.89

Subtotal: $329.35
Shipping: $100.89
Tax: $30.10
Total: $460.34

Gaskets, fasteners, cam phaser filters, new flexplate/flywheel and I'm having to save on the connecting rod. Only replacing the broken one with OEM. Can't afford the Manley's. Is what it is. So the build is somewhere between a stock and nice build. I'm doing what I can. Like every time I order from Tasca, who knows when I'll start seeing parts.

Order 3 from Rock Auto
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total

FORD AL3Z6754A Dip Stick Tube $ 17.71
DENSO 2805315 Starter Motor $ 103.79 $ 34.00 (core) $ 137.79
DORMAN 03117 Exhaust Flange Stud and Nut $ 5.72 x 4 $ 22.88
FEL-PRO SS72954 Valve Stem Seal kit $ 21.79
MELLING VS1611 Valve Spring $ 5.86 x 4 $ 23.44
MOTORCRAFT RT1234 Thermostat $ 11.73
WESTAR ETK042 (ETK-042) Motor Mount Kit $ 123.79

Discount $ -16.26
Shipping $ 38.96
Tax $ 26.74
Order Total $ 408.57

New dip stick tube because I'm pretty sure I trashed the old one yanking it out. New starter because I know I definitely never want to change one again. Valve springs and seals and thermostat for good measure. Bought the motor mount kit because it was cheaper than the individual components so I'll get a spare trans mount for an F150 that I don't have a use for but might put on my father-in-laws truck. Parts already inbound just like always with Rock. I should have the complete order within the next couple of days.

So running total looks like this so far:

Machine work ~$1000
Parts - $1029.23 + 460.34 + 408.57 = $1898.14
Total = $2898.14 budget blown

Definitely doesn't include some of the miscellaneous parts I've purchased like cleaning supplies and stuff.
Definitely could have spent more or saved more in certain areas.

Parts that I considered purchasing but have not yet to keep the spending down:
Cam Phaser bolts because I can't find them. Finding the filter numbers was hard enough
Exhaust manifold fasteners $50
Flexplate bolts $61
Lower Radiator hose $64 (mine is fairly new so hopefully won't leak)
One of the valve covers is busted so I'll probably end up replacing it

The decision to go with the Manley forged pistons was actually made pretty easy since they come with rings and pins (they're an offset pin design as well) and once I considered the Mahle pistons plus rings and OEM pins (if I were to get a complete set) only came out to a difference of around $80.

I'm also considering dropping some money on an engine stand and a parts washer at this point as well. We'll see. Again, this data is really relevant to my specific situation, but if it helps anybody, then great.

This is amazing info! Let us know when you get the parts. I might be ordering forged rods and pistons soon, I’m on a waitlist right now for a long block, been 3 weeks with no updates so far.