Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First box shipments of sexiness came in last night.

880f1eba88f090dd69bfed02684cde5d.jpg

Pistons, bearings, and springs. Also exposing my first couple of fails.

First the ‘rings’ that came included with the pistons were not piston rings like I thought but rather just the pin retaining rings. So now my rationalization for going forged is shot lol. Ordered a set of Manley ductile rings for $183. $13 shipping put me at $196 On rings. They have an upgrade for premium steel rings for $310. The pins that are included are chrome moly with 0.150” wall. You can also upgrade those to a 9310 alloy with a 0.210” wall for the cheap price of $265 a set.

Next found out my dude @BenBB was right and I was wrong regarding the springs. While they come on boxes of 4, the qty reflected is still ‘each’ not ‘bx’. so I need 3 more boxes. Dammit! I do have a few brand new Ford springs laying around though. Thoughts on mixing and matching with the Melling? Probably just end up doing them all Melling though but I went this route over OEM only because I did the math wrong and thought I was coming out better.

Also sat on those rods for a long time last night but constrained myself from sending the order in. Probably going to go order them now. This rabbit grave is deep my friends. No turning back now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rods ordered...

Manley Steel H-Beam Connecting Rods .927in Pin Ford 6.2L SOHC 2V 14045-8 $628.55

Free shipping and found a $20 coupon code for the supplier Vivid Racing. $608.55 out the door for a complete set of forged rods. I'll take it.

So running total $2898.14 + 195.80 (Rings) + $608.55 (Rods) = $3702.35.

Still will be getting more springs. Possibly a valve cover. Gonna talk to the shop about sim testing after I get it put together. Fluids, etc. Gents we've moved into full build mode. But at least this bottom should be STOUT.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, for reference I thought I might add what my machine shop has listed for their work in NC. Straight off their website. I'll detail my personal invoice once we settle up, but this hopefully gives y'all a good idea or baseline of what you're looking at for engine work.

MACHINE SERVICE

Cylinder Boring (4Cyl)…………………………..$60

Cylinder Boring (6Cyl)…………………………..$80

Cylinder Boring (8Cyl)…………………………$100

Valve Job Basic (MIN)……………………………$60

Valve Job Basic (DOHC)………………..$100 & Up

Grind CrankShaft…………………………………$70

Polish Crankshaft…………………………………$20

Surface Heads……………………….(1)$20,(2)$30

Surface Block (Inline)…………………………….$50

Surface Block (V Type)………………………….$65

Install Valve Guides……………….$4 Each (Most)

Install Valve Seats…………………………..$6 Each

Everything we've discussed till this point has been decent in my book. So far they've been good to work with.

Cody Dawson

Perfect Circle Engines
Reaction score
Rods ordered...

Manley Steel H-Beam Connecting Rods .927in Pin Ford 6.2L SOHC 2V 14045-8 $628.55

Free shipping and found a $20 coupon code for the supplier Vivid Racing. $608.55 out the door for a complete set of forged rods. I'll take it.

So running total $2898.14 + 195.80 (Rings) + $608.55 (Rods) = $3702.35.

Still will be getting more springs. Possibly a valve cover. Gonna talk to the shop about sim testing after I get it put together. Fluids, etc. Gents we've moved into full build mode. But at least this bottom should be STOUT.

have you received the rods yet? Last I heard from Manley directly is that they no longer sell or even have the castings for the H-Beams

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you received the rods yet? Last I heard from Manley directly is that they no longer sell or even have the castings for the H-Beams

Um yeah... About that. So yeah, you're spot on. Supplier contacted me last week and, directly from Manley, parts are dis-continued and no longer available. So that's $600 back in my pocket, which is nice. I definitely can't justify the I-Beams for my application and tbh after looking into it, I think stock rods should be totally fine for my usage. Apparently these are some of the most robust rods that Ford makes (forged I-beam?) and they seem stand up to boosted applications fine, so for my usage should be more than adequate.

The rest of the Rock Auto stuff showed up; Dipstick tube, valve seals, exhaust flange studs/nuts, starter, and motor mounts. Had a freak out moment when the paperwork said I only had a month to send my core starter back, but then I went back and saw it said 6 months on the website, and then had a further realization that there's nothing wrong with the starter and I should be able to easily sell it for more than the $34 they're offering me for the core so whatever. Rings also showed up and it looks like Manley uses Total Seal for rings. Also learned in some research the JE actually makes the Livernois pistons.

Tasca order still hasn't shipped yet. I just received an update that the special order parts should be ready to ship in the next 3-5 days. I don't really need anything out of that order except the rod in order to get the bottom together.

Pistons are at the machine shop so that he can size the bores properly. Also it appears that everyone that builds these motors with these pistons run oil squirter block-offs as they aren't necessary with these pistons and will also help bump the oil pressure up. So it looks like that's another $100 from MMR or about $80 from Livernois. Probably will order them soon. Anybody have thoughts to share on this?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you are throwing a blower at it, stock rods are fine.

I question the "pistons are at the machine shop so he can size the bores".

For a low effort engine, maybe that's OK- but for anything that's being "built", you should always order pistons after the bores have had the minimum amount of material removed to make them round. Measure the holes and get pistons sized to match. Blasting 0.020 or 0.030 out of all the holes for a set of oversized pistons unnecessarily weakens the block cylinder walls a lot.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are throwing a blower at it, stock rods are fine.

I question the "pistons are at the machine shop so he can size the bores".

For a low effort engine, maybe that's OK- but for anything that's being "built", you should always order pistons after the bores have had the minimum amount of material removed to make them round. Measure the holes and get pistons sized to match. Blasting 0.020 or 0.030 out of all the holes for a set of oversized pistons unnecessarily weakens the block cylinder walls a lot.
Yeah maybe that’s just me not knowing what I’m doing. We’re not punching anything out as far as I know, the plan is to stay stock size. Machinist just asked for the pistons. I guess he wants them to check the rest and to size the sleeve. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk