Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting mine rebuilt. Nothing wrong with it still runs like a champ. Has about 183,000 miles on it. Noticed about 1.5 mpg less than before. Want to do it so I basically have new truck again. Doing other stuff too it to. But want to know about how much it would cost me to do a Engine rebuild. I want to go with forged Pistons and better valve springs if there are any better than OEM incase i decide to SC the beast. What do you think that would cost?

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting mine rebuilt. Nothing wrong with it still runs like a champ. Has about 183,000 miles on it. Noticed about 1.5 mpg less than before. Want to do it so I basically have new truck again. Doing other stuff too it to. But want to know about how much it would cost me to do a Engine rebuild. I want to go with forged Pistons and better valve springs if there are any better than OEM incase i decide to SC the beast. What do you think that would cost?

Definitely a loaded question. I can say that I'm easily $3K into this thing. You start talking forged pistons, rods, billet oil pump (or gears) stuff starts to creep north quickly. One of our members sells titanium valve springs. Everyone's mileage is going to vary here, but I can see a rebuild costs easily eclipsing crate engine territory depending on the scope. Especially if you're paying somebody for labor on things like pulling, machining, rebuilding, and installing the engine etc. I don't know how helpful that answer is, but in these days when every frikin' thing is so expensive, if you feel like jumping off this ledge just be ready to open that wallet and supply your own lube.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah definitely go for it. It was a fun and satisfying project for sure and I learned a ton. I still haven't done anything with it, but I enjoy visiting the engine every now and then and it's definitely nice to have it as insurance.

Yeah, slapping some paint or something on there still isn't out of the question at some point. Simple enough to do. None of it is really visible once it's in, so just wasn't super important to me at the time. But it's "Ford Racing Blue" I think is what it's called. You'll find a few different shades depending on the supplier. I liked this one.

Good luck if you take it on. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks. I will for sure

Just going to try to find a donor motor. There is one I saw that says it was hydro locked, but does turn. It’s not apart. So mot sure what the block condition is. Since it’s going to the machine shop, as long as it’s not really damaged bad it’ll be ok. And since I’d def build it up with new forged pistons and rods, really just need the crank to be ok as well. Would kinda like to do it like you’ve done. I want as complete a motor as I can do to have min downtime on the swap.

Prob need to call livernois about their heads and cams. Wonder if their ported race heads are worth anything on a NA application

Thanks again for this post.

tmp123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Great write up... Excellent pictures and information.
I have a question about the part number for the longer Heater hard pipe connecting to the block. The short one by dorman is easily found however the other one I cant find anywhere.
Would you have the part number handy somewhere ....I desperate ... Thanks in advance.
BTW i posted a new thread with the picture you posted , hope its ok with you.

Tx

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Great write up... Excellent pictures and information.
I have a question about the part number for the longer Heater hard pipe connecting to the block. The short one by dorman is easily found however the other one I cant find anywhere.
Would you have the part number handy somewhere ....I desperate ... Thanks in advance.
BTW i posted a new thread with the picture you posted , hope its ok with you.

Tx

Thanks man. Check out Motorcraft KT65. Hope that helps. Good luck!

tmp123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You, its the right part))
Question, on your rebuild , what valve springs did you use? the stock ones , as people say, are known to fail.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You, its the right part))
Question, on your rebuild , what valve springs did you use? the stock ones , as people say, are known to fail.

I used Melling valve springs.