Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not really sure man. I looked into it and I seem to keep seeing different information. I see P/N's discontinued and superseded. Some thermostats with that gasket, some without. I'm certain I ordered Motorcraft parts. Hell, I stared at the set-up for a good bit before install trying to make sense of it. Then still installed it wrong, before coming up with a way that makes sense in my head to keep it from leaking. I'm gonna take another peak. Seems like for the price of just ordering that gasket, I can have one of those MotoRad pieces. I may go that route or may just roll the dice with what I've got. Won't be a big deal to change out if I have an issue. Perhaps our good buddy @FordTechOne might be able to shed some light here. Appreciate you looking out though brother!
I’m coming up with thermostat seal part number F1VY-8255-A.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I just clicked on the link I posted, not even close to a ring of any kind, WTF

Ha. Yeah, the link of yours will take you to the cooling system page and then if you click the link for item 8, which is the same P/N FordTechOne confirmed it takes you to my link. All good. We'll get it squared away.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double checked the thermostat situation yesterday. I’m at peace with it.

Added the oil filter adapter and cooler:

8D72755F-A2D5-4B6F-BAD2-9ADA960929CB.jpeg

657B2647-72E9-417A-B65B-FCE1DCB4C4A3.jpeg

These parts, just like the intake manifold will likely need to come off before going into an engine bay. So really they could just be swapped over from the other motor, so it’s really just money I didn’t need to spend. That being said, I’m good with calling this thing done. I’m most likely to install the motor mounts (and possibly the starter) that I bought for this engine on my current truck as I don’t really have any sort of urgency to plug this in. I believe the only other new part I have lying around are the flex plate.

I appreciate all of you guys following along and all the feedback and guidance along the way.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite YouTube channels for those that don't know about it. He just did a 6.2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome post. Thanks for all the info. I have been wanting to build and engine for something. Might give this a try. But may try and build a bad ass NA motor with high compression pistons and cams. Need to do some research on what’s what and what will be “worth it” and not. Don’t want to go so crazy that it’s not streetable.

But I will say I can’t believe you didn’t paint the heads and front timing cover! All the beautiful work on the block and valve covers and an ugly front cover! Fail! Lol

Btw, what color is that on the valve covers?

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome post. Thanks for all the info. I have been wanting to build and engine for something. Might give this a try. But may try and build a bad ass NA motor with high compression pistons and cams. Need to do some research on what’s what and what will be “worth it” and not. Don’t want to go so crazy that it’s not streetable.

But I will say I can’t believe you didn’t paint the heads and front timing cover! All the beautiful work on the block and valve covers and an ugly front cover! Fail! Lol

Btw, what color is that on the valve covers?

Thanks! Yeah definitely go for it. It was a fun and satisfying project for sure and I learned a ton. I still haven't done anything with it, but I enjoy visiting the engine every now and then and it's definitely nice to have it as insurance.

Yeah, slapping some paint or something on there still isn't out of the question at some point. Simple enough to do. None of it is really visible once it's in, so just wasn't super important to me at the time. But it's "Ford Racing Blue" I think is what it's called. You'll find a few different shades depending on the supplier. I liked this one.

Good luck if you take it on. Let me know if I can help in any way.