Rear sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because of its rear-wheel drive (normally 2wd) and front-end weight bias, the Ford Raptor naturally understeers. It tends to "plow" in turns and resist steering inputs. Installation of a rear sway bar is an easy way to add some stiffness to the rear suspension and reduce this understeer. It gives a more "precise" feel to the steering. It makes the car turn easier and feel more stable. It makes the front tires wear longer.

What do I need!
1. Rear Steer! to pivot the car around corners less understeer
2. Traction!
3. Speed faster around corners and accelerations

After looking at many bars I picked Hellwig Performance #7705 for the rear bar, 4140 chromolly steel, American-made, Adjustable unit.

I was worried about adding a sway bar and making the Raptor loose around turns, only just the opposite happened, the car not only cornered better but some how had more traction! and a very easy to drive traction line, it now has great traction and slowly slids out making it very predictable in corners,

After setting it up on the Raptor, I noticed that the Raptor stays more level in the turns. That means the rear weight wasn't transferring and unloading and loading from side to side. That forced the tires to grab traction, and helped the Raptor traction quicker out of the corners

So....Do I really need a rear anti-roll bar on a Raptor? I personally say. Yes! For both on road and off road performance.

In an effort to correct excessive body roll on early, the common approach is to add a large front anti-roll bar (which the Raptor has). This may initially appear to correct the issue, but with the unintended result of increased understeer on an already nose-heavy vehicle. To regain vehicle cornering balance a rear anti-roll bar may be needed. For mild street-performance vehicles a rear anti-roll bar will provide a noticeable improvement to the “tightness” of the handling. However, on high-performance vehicles operating at or near the vehicle’s traction limits, careful testing is required. First, to determine need of a rear bar, and then to properly setup the vehicle to optimize cornering balance. Testing your vehicle with different springs, shock settings and anti-roll bars will definitely yield increased handling.

Why do Manufactures leave the rear sway bar off many of the cars they build?

An obvious reason is to save money.

Many manufactures decision was also based on assumptions about the driving skills of the typical car owner.

Understeer is the accepted norm among average drivers in the U.S., many have never even heard the terms over-steer, under-steer, bump-steer, and so on

When the car doesn't seem to be going where the driver wants it to go, he just brakes and turns the steering wheel farther -- an intuitive design considered defensible in court.

Adding a rear sway bar not only reduces understeer, it also makes the car more likely to oversteer -- for the rear end to lose adhesion and swing out when cornering. That makes the car more fun to drive (it turns quicker), but also more dangerous because it could lead to a spin-out. To correct for oversteer, the driver must stay off the brakes, add power, and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide -- a design considered indefensible in court, and one that could expose manufactures to liability.

The Raptor understeers and once you remove front swaybar, it corrects some of the oversteer. The issue is now it makes the Raptor wallows like a pig during any quick changes of direction. By adding the rear swaybar it corrects the understeer without slowing the steering by increasing bodyroll...

I will be testing this set up at Texas Raptor run and during bullrun rally..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I know... Going to be a heated debate for sure...

For Autocross, 80% daily drivers, and those that don't have wide desert to wallow through.. This might correct the understeer the Raptor has in corners and allow it to rotate through tighter corners..

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting....

While the high speed cornering of the truck leaves much to be desired when coming from high performance/track cars, you have to realise what you are driving. I would be interested in seeing the setup.

I see it limiting rear travel. The front can get away with it due to the mounting points of the control arms. Rear is a bit more difficult I would think.

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
AHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. I remember a year ago you made a post about taking front ones off and the benefits. Now i guess your running the front sways as well?

I like the body roll.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. I remember a year ago you made a post about taking front ones off and the benefits. Now i guess your running the front sways as well?

I like the body roll.

Yes... After plowing through corners
at TRR and almost hitting a tree, and there was several corners at snoball 500.. Rethought swaybar thing.. Going to try it out.. If I am wrong, I am wrong and I will post the results up one way or another...

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know me, I am not afraid of using my truck as a Guinea pig...proof will be at TRR, if it handles the course and the jumps..