Rear Leaf Springs expected life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor556

Reaction score
What do you mean? I thought you would have the same amount of down travel regardless of +2 or +3?

I have Icon collars I plan to install to at least get me to the height I want to be up front, once I save up the Fox factory will replace everything. Having some clunks going on over pot holes or crappy NJ roads from the front I need to address also.
Definitely should address that.

solution: get out of jersey

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? I thought you would have the same amount of down travel regardless of +2 or +3?

I have Icon collars I plan to install to at least get me to the height I want to be up front, once I save up the Fox factory will replace everything. Having some clunks going on over pot holes or crappy NJ roads from the front I need to address also.
fyi....if you plan on going with Fox Factory Race shocks, you should consider +3 Deavers. I have a 2018, Fox Factory Race shocks and +3 Deavers. Front end is about 1/2 inch lower than rear after putting a sixth spare tire and tools in the back. Your experience may vary. I'm headed to Baja with Exo in June and anticipate that I'll be level when I return...haha

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would Not agree with any of the above in replacing the stock leafs with a “HD” set set to a much higher spring rate. The raptor setup is meant to be squishy and articulate a lot. I currently get bouncy in the rear with anything above 38 tire pressure in the rear. I could only imagine unless there is some kind of trickery, what that the aftermarket springs are super stiff if you are combining both lift and higher spring rate.
There is no context here... what is the primary use for the individuals vehicle? That determines the practicality. Also, most who do use the vehicle "as intended" and have personal experience have positive reviews especially when many are carrying a significant amount of weight (spares/jacks/tools). It's not as simple as apples to apples.

I'm a weirdo who has the rear setup for worst case vs average use. I don't find the springs too stiff daily and empty. As so many have stated, they actually settle the rear end down due to reducing axle wrap and all the really crazy things that DOES to spring rate under lateral load. Granted, I'd guess many more go with the SDs which I've heard may be a little softer than OE. Again, situation dependent.

Unless the OP is adding weight, he would most likely best served with the standard weight Deaver springs. Should have stated that initially.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just bought my raptor at the end of last year. After 3 months I was tired of my OE leafs. 2019 with 22k miles. I got +2HD Deavers as well and it was well worth the money. Rides so much better, no more wheel hop, and with 600lbs in the bed it went down maybe an inch. Yes the HDs will ride a little stiff at first, but put 200lbs in the bed for the first week or two and it now rides great with even an empty bed.

I recommend going through Rick@FMS here on the forum. Gave me a discount and was very helpful.
By around 20k on my 2020 the OE rears had sagged flat. Hardly carry any gear in back and have a 21ft Yamaha boat on trailer once or twice for 1.5 miles to boat ramp or 5 miles to gas staton and back. I didn't bother complaining to Ford to have them replaced with simular sub par parts. Went with Deaver +2HD and happy with the decision... all around.

I'm at 25k miles and have sagged a little over an inch. And it takes a lot less weight in the back to level it. So it looks like Deavers are in my future. How much did the +2HDs raise the rear when the truck is empty? Is there still rake with 5-600lbs in the bed? I hate sag and don't mind rake. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, I just want springs that work.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 25k miles and have sagged a little over an inch. And it takes a lot less weight in the back to level it. So it looks like Deavers are in my future. How much did the +2HDs raise the rear when the truck is empty? Is there still rake with 5-600lbs in the bed? I hate sag and don't mind rake. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, I just want springs that work.
I'm actually getting ready to post a thread about my +2HDs with some actual measurements and my results. Full Tank completely empty I have 1 1/4" rake in the back. With 600lbs in the bed I'm just about level, with it being maybe 1/8" higher in the rear. This past weekend I towed about 6000lbs (4600lb Audi RS7 on a car trailer) and my rear was 1" lower then the front. I'll post pics in the thread but from the side it didn't look bad at all. Was not noticeably sagging. And if I had to guess, I probably had 750lb tongue weight because the RS7 is so nose heavy. Overall I'm really happy. I didn't go the +3HDs because I didn't want huge rake in the back.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is somewhat of an odd ball in that I bought it new pretty level and after the +2HDs it's back to close to level with a little rake. I don't remember the actual measurements, but with my OE (stock) front springs I like the stance and performance over all. Wilbur seems to have pegged my experiences less my lack of recollecting any actual numbers.

OP
OP
DAVfoto

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might go Icon as I don't want to buy +3SD springs and then regret not getting the HD, at least with Icon, I can pull them out and just replace the one leaf or add the leaf on.

Plan is to get RCI bed rack, with Ikamper mini 2.0 or 3.0 RTT and leaving it on the rear. I already have a rollnlock cover that is ok and not sure the RCI rack will fit on top but it might. That is probably 350-400 constant weight.

I see two people have differing views on Icon, y'all care to weigh in with more detail?
Go with Deaver's if you can. I don't recommend the Icon's.

I’ve got the Icon springs. I’d highly recommend them!