GEN 2 rear end rolls when i FT or when changing lanes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks_y

Ricks_y

Reaction score
My 18 used to do that too especially with the Cobb I ran for a short time. I wondered if it was the ABS putting on the brakes at individual wheels to keep things straight. Mabey it was spring wrap. It didn't bother me much.
abs putting on the brakes? thats the first time ever hearing that. thanks. i'll look into that.

OP
OP
Ricks_y

Ricks_y

Reaction score
No, Raptors have rear sways. The SVC Traction Bars prevent axle wrap, which is a technical term for hopping or skipping over holes, cracks in lanes, etc. calms the whole rear down. Even if you have Deavers or Icon leafs, I recommend them.

Hellwig Anti-Sway Bars 7783 . made for the ford raptor gen2- half the cost.​

does the SVC traction bars effect off road? it doesnt say anything about that.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hellwig Anti-Sway Bars 7783 . made for the ford raptor gen2- half the cost.​

does the SVC traction bars effect off road? it doesnt say anything about that.
Nope. I have over 5K miles in Baja, never got hung up. Sure there are scrapes, but that’s to be expected.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
No, Raptors have rear sways. The SVC Traction Bars prevent axle wrap, which is a technical term for hopping or skipping over holes, cracks in lanes, etc. calms the whole rear down. Even if you have Deavers or Icon leafs, I recommend them.

When you floor an eco Raptor, the torque easily overwhelms the rear springs and shocks, which is kind of expected since it’s an off road truck with off road suspension and all.

Several things are going on with heavy throttle.
- the axle assembly twists with the torque - lifting on the left, planting the right.
- now the wheels have uneven traction capability, right side digs, and with enough forced applied, causes the assembly to move the right wheel forward and the left rearward, and ‘oscillate’ in this plane. So it’s not only moving up and down, it’s moving forward and backward.
- depending on how much traction is available to your tires, you may end up with both axle hop (up and down) and wrap - front to back.
- it’s dynamic. The RR tire grips, digs, breaks traction, left sometimes gets traction and applies opposite force, but typically less because the force is lifting on the LR.

I went with a torque arm, but 100% agree that traction bars will absolutely, positively locate the rear axle, preventing the wrapping altogether, and greatly reducing the axle hop, if not eliminating it.

Springs and shocks are a band aid to these problems, not a fix.
Putting different rate springs on the back may seem like it “fixes the issue” but different leaf packs do nothing to keep the axle movement in a single plane.

OP
OP
Ricks_y

Ricks_y

Reaction score
When you floor an eco Raptor, the torque easily overwhelms the rear springs and shocks, which is kind of expected since it’s an off road truck with off road suspension and all.

Several things are going on with heavy throttle.
- the axle assembly twists with the torque - lifting on the left, planting the right.
- now the wheels have uneven traction capability, right side digs, and with enough forced applied, causes the assembly to move the right wheel forward and the left rearward, and ‘oscillate’ in this plane. So it’s not only moving up and down, it’s moving forward and backward.
- depending on how much traction is available to your tires, you may end up with both axle hop (up and down) and wrap - front to back.
- it’s dynamic. The RR tire grips, digs, breaks traction, left sometimes gets traction and applies opposite force, but typically less because the force is lifting on the LR.

I went with a torque arm, but 100% agree that traction bars will absolutely, positively locate the rear axle, preventing the wrapping altogether, and greatly reducing the axle hop, if not eliminating it.

Springs and shocks are a band aid to these problems, not a fix.
Putting different rate springs on the back may seem like it “fixes the issue” but different leaf packs do nothing to keep the axle movement in a single plane.
thanks for the great input.
torque arm- traction bars. neither will affect the truck on and off road?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
thanks for the great input.
torque arm- traction bars. neither will affect the truck on and off road?

I’ve not run traction bars off road, but lots of folks in here have and swear by them. I chose the torque arm because it was an easier install, nothing hanging down and KHC agreed to a group buy, which I helped organize.
I’d still buy the torque arm again FWIW.

Traction bars --I think-- have at least a theoretical advantage in positive location but we’re talking about a small percentage.

My results with the T/A were night and day different. I did back to back to back full throttle take offs first on pavement. Stock the truck was a handful, lots of steering correction, wheel hop. After the torque arm, I could use one hand on the wheel, full throttle and the truck went in a straight line, consistently, launch after launch.

In the sand, there was also a noticeable improvement. You can still screw up, but you do so with a lot more predictability.

OP
OP
Ricks_y

Ricks_y

Reaction score
I’ve not run traction bars off road, but lots of folks in here have and swear by them. I chose the torque arm because it was an easier install, nothing hanging down and KHC agreed to a group buy, which I helped organize.
I’d still buy the torque arm again FWIW.

Traction bars --I think-- have at least a theoretical advantage in positive location but we’re talking about a small percentage.

My results with the T/A were night and day different. I did back to back to back full throttle take offs first on pavement. Stock the truck was a handful, lots of steering correction, wheel hop. After the torque arm, I could use one hand on the wheel, full throttle and the truck went in a straight line, consistently, launch after launch.

In the sand, there was also a noticeable improvement. You can still screw up, but you do so with a lot more predictability.
Thanks.

I am going to look it up.