Rear Axle Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice rust on the rear axle and rather then clean and sand while its attached and then paint, I wanted to take it completely off before the winter and spray it. Has anyone removed it yet- any recommendations is welcome?

OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some research and it looks like four bolts on the driveshaft and 2 on each side holding the leafs to the diff and then it should be fully disconnected so that I can pull it off and spray it. Am i missing anything?

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some research and it looks like four bolts on the drive shaft and 2 on each side holding the leafs to the diff and then it should be fully disconnected so that I can pull it off and spray it. Am i missing anything?

Brake lines. Also, be sure to mark the alignment of the drive shaft so that it goes back together the same as it came apart or you will have balance (vibration) issues

OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also forgot the shocks but that should be it. Jack stands on the trailer hitch frame should be fine to hold up the rear end or is there a better place?

OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea... that may be an easier alternative. I dont use the truck daily so either way works. I just want to make sure its completely good to go because I travel all winter long in bad weather or good dont matter. I noticed the rust begin so I'm looking to stop it for good.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just knock the dirt and the heavy rust off of it and sponge brush on some semi-gloss black (or gloss) Rustoleum in a quart can. Cheap and very effective even in the salt climate of Florida. You can cut it with a little acetone in a seperate cup and it goes on real easy. Try to get (2) coats on. Did this on my F350 once a year when I would show it.