Raven on a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like that camper

Used to put this on my old 2007 F150, but now I put it on my 2013 Raptor. For those who are unfamiliar with these campers, they are made by Four Wheel Camper in Sacramento, CA. They are tough, rugged, and lightweight. This weighs 1000 lbs. It's frame is made of welded aluminum. These campers have kind of a cult following. This is a 2012 Raven model. It is a pop-up.

Most of the time the camper is off and in my garage, but when we are ready to head out on a trip, this is how we go. To keep the rear end from sagging, I have installed an RPG stage 3. I normally run the 2.5 inch bumpstops, but use the 4.0 inch bumpstops when the camper is on. Just installed it for the first time. Planning a trip to Utah or Death Valley later this month.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16185&stc=1&d=1359758960

so how does it drive with that much weight . did you change your leaf springs

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how does it drive with that much weight . did you change your leaf springs

Wouldn't have been doable without the rpg stage 3 and 4 inch bumps. I ordered the standard duty national leaf springs with the rpg stage 3 kit. It rides extremely well. In deep sand or over rocky terrain it is very stable. In fact I have gotten to the point where I have quite a bit of confidence with the system and am going quite fast. There is no roll at all. Honestly, you can hardly tell it's back there.

The last three photos are in an area on the Arizona/Utah border called the Vermillion Cliffs Plateau, or the "Sand Hills" by the locals. Very deep sandy roads in this area.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 inch stops

how far above the strike pad is the bump stop when the camper is loaded and level.

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how far above the strike pad is the bump stop when the camper is loaded and level.

This first picture shows the two bumps.

This next is the 2.5 bump with nothing loaded in the bed.

The next is the 4 inch bump thru the wheel well.

And the last is the 4 inch with the camper loaded.
Truck sits level.
250 psi in the 4 inch bump. Can go much higher.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 105

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great post thanks

This first picture shows the two bumps.

This next is the 2.5 bump with nothing loaded in the bed.

The next is the 4 inch bump thru the wheel well.

And the last is the 4 inch with the camper loaded.
Truck sits level.
250 psi in the 4 inch bump. Can go much higher.

looks like a inch or two then the 4inch bump stops kick in and do their thing.
with the stage 3 you have new leafs and 2.5 stops. how do you like that setup on broken pavement and no camper. this is what i want, standard national leafs and bump stops as a first mod. then go to 3.0 shocks if i need it. You have stock shocks on that setup right. that rig looks level and stout to me. stock set seems to sag quite a bit on some pics i see when a trailer is hitched up.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

when you remove the camper is there enough clearance to push the 4inch bump shocks up in the barrel so the clearance is the same as when the 2.5s are installed . I know i am missing something here.

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a inch or two then the 4inch bump stops kick in and do their thing.
with the stage 3 you have new leafs and 2.5 stops. how do you like that setup on broken pavement and no camper. this is what i want, standard national leafs and bump stops as a first mod. then go to 3.0 shocks if i need it. You have stock shocks on that setup right. that rig looks level and stout to me. stock set seems to sag quite a bit on some pics i see when a trailer is hitched up.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

when you remove the camper is there enough clearance to push the 4inch bump shocks up in the barrel so the clearance is the same as when the 2.5s are installed . I know i am missing something here.

These are the stocks shocks, yes.

If you look at the picture of the two bumps side by side, you'll see they have a threaded valve stem on top. The mounting bracket is like a cup, upside down, with a small hole thru it. The threaded stem of the bump goes up thru it from the bottom and a nut secures it in place. You can see the nut/stem in the photo that it taken thru the wheel well. So, no, you cannot slide them further up the "barrel". If fact to remove/install the 4 inch, the truck has to be jacked up quite high.

On broken pavement, you can definitly feel it. Though not much different from stock. I am on mid perch.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one last question

On broken pavement, you can definitly feel it. Though not much different from stock. I am on mid perch

are you referring to the 2.5, the 4.0,or both setups? I could see myself becoming lazy any leaving the 4 stops in during camping season. Maybe the camper as well.

thanks for being so informative

OP
OP
captainphx

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On broken pavement, you can definitly feel it. Though not much different from stock. I am on mid perch

are you referring to the 2.5, the 4.0,or both setups? I could see myself becoming lazy any leaving the 4 stops in during camping season. Maybe the camper as well.

thanks for being so informative

I was referring to the 2.5's and the national springs. The 2.5's won't even come into play, unless you are on the really rough stuff and hammering it.

If you have a camper on you will want to leave the 4.0's on. If the camper is off, you definitely will NOT want to leave the 4.0's on. You will feel and hear the bumpstop hitting the strike plate, with that 250 psi, in every little bump on the road. It would be rough, rough, rough.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
national springs look so promising

I was referring to the 2.5's and the national springs.

I am surprised that the national springs do not smooth out the pavement compared to the stock springs.