Raptors In Snowy Conditions and/or Pulling Sled Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well do these trucks drive in the snow?

My 04 with the LS drives awesome in the snow (except when I'm running my 35 Toyo Mud tires). Half the time I won't shift into 4x4 unless the roads are really crappy.

The reason I ask is because of the lack of the LS and the E-Locker. Our other vehicle is a Chevy and that has the "Stabil-A-Trac" which is a pain in my ass. Any time the system senses the wheels slipping it will shut down power (even when it's "OFF" it will still override and re-engage). So when I'm trying to accelerate through a snowy intersection, or get into/out of our driveway it will completely shut down and we'll lose all forward momentum.

I can’t imagine an “Off-Road Truck” would be set up the same way. I went to the dealership the other day to ask for a test drive during the snow storm and I was denied due to the weather for obvious reasons.

Secondly, how much of a load can they haul? I’m looking to haul an enclosed 3 place sled trailer with sleds/gear and possibly a sled in the bed of the truck as well.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you have to turn off "advance trac" all the way, and put it into off road mode before you can really do some proper hoonage.

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven mine in a pretty good amount of snow and it does very well in 4wd hi with stock tires. I bet it'd do even better with different tires, but maybe next year.

OP
OP
carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven mine in a pretty good amount of snow and it does very well in 4wd hi with stock tires. I bet it'd do even better with different tires, but maybe next year.

Of course any vehicle will do well in 4x4...I'm talking about regular 2 wheel drive mode.

My biggest concern with the E-locker (and Chevy's "Stabiltrac") is that it kicks in when in regular 2 wheel drive mode when trying to accelerate from a stop across a snowy intersection or up a driveway...when it does you're barely creeping through the intersection or merging with traffic because the computer senses your "slipping." The same thing happens when you disengage it and try to blast up a snowy driveway (even in 4x4)...if it starts spinning too much, the system will reengage itself and shut down all the power and you end losing all forward momentum. This especially sucks when you're pulling a sled trailer trying to get into a place to unload.

Who honestly drives their vehicles in 4x4 all the time?! As I stated, I rarely put my truck into 4x4 on the roads and the Limited Slip never shuts down...it's always "active" regardless if it's in 2x4 or 4x4.

Also, what are the road manners like when towing a sled trailer with sleds and/or one in the bed?

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
i mostly drive 2 wd until i really have to. no point in wearing down anything when you can go perfectly fine in 2wd.