Raptor won't stay at 10-15 mph speed after start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does this too. I think its pretty normal. You have to wait till it idles down and warms up. Otherwise it surges and won't go between 10-15, jumps above that.

OP
OP
SlasherMcGee

SlasherMcGee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too. I think its pretty normal. You have to wait till it idles down and warms up. Otherwise it surges and won't go between 10-15, jumps above that.

How long do you let it sit before you drive? I've let it sit for quite some time after the idle has dropped to normal and still the same issue. I'll let it sit in the garage for 10 minutes later tonight and see if the problem occurs.

Have you ever looked into it? A guy I work with has the same truck, same year, and never had an issue. If he doesn't have the problem and we do, that is a bug/problem with our trucks.

If this is really normal for my truck I might have to return it to the dealer and say keep it unless they can fix it. A year of this "jerking" on the tranny can't be good for it.. I bet it would lead to more severe issues.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Another thing I noticed tonight is that it does it if I'm in 2nd gear as well...so issue occurs when the stick is in 1st or 2nd. Doesn't appear to be a shifting issue.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Looks like these guys are having the same issue:

2012 F150 5.0 crew 4x4 low speed surging - Page 2 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

A lot of guys in that thread think it's the retarded timing that ford does on startup(-12 to -15). The timing then swaps back, but i'm not sure if that's my issue or not:

2012 Ford F-150 5.0 Ignition Timing Retarded 9* Causing Rough Idle On Start Up - YouTube

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine only does it for 4-5 minutes until it warms up. Usually only when its cold out side (below 40 degrees) when i slept in and have to rush to work.

Hasnt happened in a few weeks since its been getting warmer here.

Keep in mind you dont have a 5.0 and the internals of that engine are vastly different than the 6.2

OP
OP
SlasherMcGee

SlasherMcGee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is a known issue and fixed via a flash on 5.0 engines:

2012 F150 5.0 crew 4x4 low speed surging - Page 3 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

One of the members said:

"Just got mine back from the re-flash. Truck runs very smooth now after startup.I am very happy.Tech talked to me for quite a while about this problem. He said all the new Ford products seem to have this colds start issue. As a lifetime Ford customer,they have really stepped up their after the sale service. "

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Mine only does it for 4-5 minutes until it warms up. Usually only when its cold out side (below 40 degrees) when i slept in and have to rush to work.

Hasnt happened in a few weeks since its been getting warmer here.

Keep in mind you dont have a 5.0 and the internals of that engine are vastly different than the 6.2

You and I must have different issues then.. Mine did it over lunch today when it was 70 outside.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

"The tech at my dealership said he sees this problem on all the current Ford products...lots of complaints. Their is a TSB for the Focus and 5.0 F150. I am sure their will be a fix soon. "

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines done it since new, 2010. It's worse during big temp swings between stopping and restarting. Same team that programmed the transmission probably programmed the cold start.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If enough people complain I'm sure ford will revisits the programming. But if the program is already tight within the emission standards it might not ever happen. It really doesn't bother me so either way works for me.