Raptor vs Tremor 402

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GDITheMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor in February. My brother works for Ford. I looked at a loaded Tremor with A plan and still didn't want it.

I paid MSRP for a truck I wanted. Can't gets A plan on SVT / FP vehicles.

All trucks are expensive now. Might as well get what you want and be happy.

I'd be pissed if I bought the Tremor. It's a total poser truck. Not even worthy of Starbucks cruising.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us feel the same. Likely didn’t need the Torsen, but it feels like we got stiffed.
The Torsen for my purposes was more irritating than useful. I get that in specific scenarios it'll help, but I don't find myself in those situations. My off roading consists of CO trails which I more likely lift a tire rendering the torsen useless or fast non technical trails where momentum carries you through any spot where 4x4 might be useful. Ford should have reduced the price of the truck when they took it away, that is where my irritation is at.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO the Tremor is priced too high for what it is and what it doesn't have.

Even with the vee-ate engine, I still would take a Raptor with the eco 10 out of 10 times over a Tremor.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can get a 5.0 in the Tremor (Yes you can get a 6.2 in the Raptor R)
Raptor R is a S/C 5.2L engine. (Spray bore instead of cylinder liners to get the extra cubes.) Basically the same engine in the GT500, detuned a bit for truck use.

The 6.2L has been gone from the F150s since 2014, but was used as the base engine in the Super Duty trucks until 2022. 7.3L and 6.8L are the new SD engines.

OP
OP
David1986

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's kinda disappointing to see the price go up and to lose options. More annoying than anything considering I wouldn't use any of them anyway. More or less the principle of it.

What seems odd is most 23 Raptors lost the heated steering wheel before mid Sept builds, however you could still get it in a Ford Escape. One would think an +$80K Raptor limited build would have been a priority to include. The most annoying part of it is the $140 credit. Seems like the credit was applied to the chip and not the components included in the steering wheel.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll miss the heated steering wheel far more than the Torsen...but removing both should have been a cool grand off the MSRP.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO the Tremor is priced too high for what it is and what it doesn't have.

Even with the vee-ate engine, I still would take a Raptor with the eco 10 out of 10 times over a Tremor.
I agree- the Raptor is such a better package overall.

The 5.0L will be a more reliable engine long term- but with the OP having 4 trucks in the max span of 14 years- I'd say go for the Raptor and the turbo engine. He will have unloaded it before issues start to arise.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it's kinda disappointing to see the price go up and to lose options. More annoying than anything considering I wouldn't use any of them anyway. More or less the principle of it.

What seems odd is most 23 Raptors lost the heated steering wheel before mid Sept builds, however you could still get it in a Ford Escape. One would think an +$80K Raptor limited build would have been a priority to include. The most annoying part of it is the $140 credit. Seems like the credit was applied to the chip and not the components included in the steering wheel.
All is needed is the clock spring and the SCCM. The wheel has the element in it. There is a long thread about this.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The 5.0L will be a more reliable engine long term- but with the OP having 4 trucks in the max span of 14 years- I'd say go for the Raptor and the turbo engine. He will have unloaded it before issues start to arise.

The only concerning thing for me with the 5.0 is the cylinder deactivation. Hate that feature in the Hemi/Chevy engines I've had

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This isn't 2009 - turbos have been in these trucks for a long time now. They've progressively gotten more reliable from a powertrain standpoint since then. From what I've read you can't say the same about the 5.0L as it's becoming more and more complex with every iteration (oil burning, engine rattle, etc). The 5.0L is a great motor but lets not pretend that it's leaps and bounds more reliable than the 3.5 because it's just not the case anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter