Raptor tech package a must have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slash

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having a hard time choosing between two vehicles:

One is a used 2017 AG with a 1k miles on it. Has raptor tech package.

Second one is a NEW 2018 LF with NO tech package.

Other than that, both vehicles have the same options, both 802a.

The 2017 is priced a bit cheaper than the 18, but not by much. Like $1k difference. They won't budge on the AG pricing because the color is "rare" and it has low miles. lmao.

With that being said Im a HUGE fan of AG, I have dreams about this color LOL. LF is a close second though. I'd be happy with either.

But back to the point. Should the raptor tech package play a big role in my decision making progress? The features seem like all great things to have, and I'll use the hell out of them if I had the option. But is the tech package a make or break? Will I regret not having it? I would appreciate any and all input, thank you!

DIO

Reaction score
I wouldn't say anything is a MUST have, but you'd be glad you have it on long drives and you're assed the **** out. Could save your life. Who knows.

I had a similar dilemma as you deciding between a used AG and new LF. I got a good deal on the AG so I decided on that one. Ultimately, get what you want. I know a lot of people will say get the brand new truck if the price is more or less the same, but if you like the AG then you do you. Hope that helps.

Plus 1k is "practically" new. Think of it as someone already breaking it in for you. You can haul ass straight out of the dealership!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slash

Reaction score
I wouldn't say anything is a MUST have, but you'd be glad you have it on long drives and you're assed the **** out. Could save your life. Who knows.

I had a similar dilemma as you deciding between a used AG and new LF. I got a good deal on the AG so I decided on that one. Ultimately, get what you want. I know a lot of people will say get the brand new truck if the price is more or less the same, but if you like the AG then you do you. Hope that helps.

Plus 1k is "practically" new. Think of it as someone already breaking it in for you. You can haul ass straight out of the dealership!

I appreciate the input

infantrytroop22

Reaction score
No, unless you need a computer to drive your truck for you. I have never had that kind of tech on any of my vehicles and I've been just fine. I didn't waste the money on it when I ordered my truck.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@DIO summed it up nicely. It's not a must-have, but a nice-to-have. I will say that the Frontal Crash Warning did keep from rear-ending the car in front of me one day when I turned my head to check the intersection and the guy in front of me changed his mind about moving out into traffic.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor doesn't have it (I didn't care about the options enough to pay for the package), but my wife's 2018 Expedition does (more specifically, it has all the features comprising the Tech package).
The rain sensing wipers are a very nice feature and work well.
I actually like the adaptive cruise control in moderate traffic - it prevents you from constantly having to hit the brakes and then resume.
The lane keeping assist drives me crazy - I'm a somewhat lazy driver who likes to sometimes straighten curves and not use my blinker, so the lane keeping assist jerks you around when you don't want it to.
I haven't driven it enough outside the city to gauge whether the auto high beams work well.

All in all, I probably wouldn't base the decision on the Tech package. My $.02.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tech package on my order sheet and changed my mind when I got to the dealer and had my salesman take it off. He seemed to agree that I could do more with $2k in mods than getting that package.
I have it on my current Explorer and the only thing I've ever used is the lane keeping and that only works well when the lanes are well marked. If there isn't a line on one side, it will let you drive right off without intervening.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech package would be a "must avoid" for me. I do not want nor need the computer trying to make driving decisions for me without all of the information.

I bought my wife a Golf R, standard with adaptive cruise, lane keeping blah blah blah. I traded her base GTI and figured she would love the new car wth all of the wonderful new features. She HATES it. It can and will drive you off the road, which is an issue in the mountains. Whenever it snows the system shuts down, including no cruise control and flashing red dash lights.

In short, I think this type of stuff is a HUGE mistake on vehicles. It wont keep you safe it will make you complacent and one day fail you. If they keep making this garbage standard I will have to start buying used cars for her...