Raptor stated carrying capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macca

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am an Aussie owner of the 2017 Ford 150 Raptor, super cab configuration.I bought it new and since owning it ,I can,t understand the full meaning of the 364kg. load carrying capacity.
It is only the wife and i and as we are planning a Desert crossing excursion in a few months, supplies will need to be kept to a minimum so as not to exceed that target amount.
How critical is it, will the suspension/ chassis fail etc??
I understand that if i was competing for instance,all the jumping and ruts would pose a problem for a much weighted vehicle, but on a road trip??
Would someone please explain the relationship between GVM and the 364kg.
( in my mind this relates to 4 big fellas and one carton of beer).

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maximum payload is the amount of weight (people, cargo, and/or trailer tongue weight) the truck is rated to safely handle.

2017 Ford Raptor Super Cab
Maximum payload weight: 1,000 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 6,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 12,000 lbs

2017 Ford Raptor Super Crew Cab
Maximum payload weight: 1,200 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 8,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 14,250 lbs

What does this mean in the real world? If you have a 2017 Raptor Super Crew, and you are towing an 8,000 lbs trailer (with 800 lbs of tongue weight), then you can add up to 400 lbs of weight (people and/or cargo). All together, truck + trailer + people + cargo cannot exceed the GCWR, which is 14,250 lbs for the Raptor crew cab

Don't know if this will help you. but here you go.

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I read it, you just can not exceed 12000 lbs on the truck. maybe someone that tows a lot will chime in.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maximum payload is the amount of weight (people, cargo, and/or trailer tongue weight) the truck is rated to safely handle.

2017 Ford Raptor Super Cab
Maximum payload weight: 1,000 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 6,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 12,000 lbs

2017 Ford Raptor Super Crew Cab
Maximum payload weight: 1,200 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 8,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 14,250 lbs

What does this mean in the real world? If you have a 2017 Raptor Super Crew, and you are towing an 8,000 lbs trailer (with 800 lbs of tongue weight), then you can add up to 400 lbs of weight (people and/or cargo). All together, truck + trailer + people + cargo cannot exceed the GCWR, which is 14,250 lbs for the Raptor crew cab

Don't know if this will help you. but here you go.

***THIS**** Exactly

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
***THIS**** Exactly

...and note that most folks think the maximum load/weights are for protecting the chassis and/or engine. However, it's main purpose is to keep the vehicle within the maximum rated stopping distance. If you have upgraded brakes the weight carry could be increased. The tongue weight is generally stated for the tow rating of the hitch/mounting hardware to stay within failure margins.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and note that most folks think the maximum load/weights are for protecting the chassis and/or engine. However, it's main purpose is to keep the vehicle within the maximum rated stopping distance. If you have upgraded brakes the weight carry could be increased. The tongue weight is generally stated for the tow rating of the hitch/mounting hardware to stay within failure margins.
Very true ....except..., don't think upgrading the brakes will save you any grief if involved in an accident if overweight. The MAN and the Insurance company will break you down quickly.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true ....except..., don't think upgrading the brakes will save you any grief if involved in an accident if overweight. The MAN and the Insurance company will break you down quickly.

Yup, didn't say it was "legal", just something you can do to help the capacity

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is only the wife and i and as we are planning a Desert crossing excursion in a few months, supplies will need to be kept to a minimum so as not to exceed that target amount.
How critical is it, will the suspension/ chassis fail etc??
Here's the deal:
The Raptor frame is beefier as is the rear end (rated about 1,000 lbs MORE then the other F-150's) has 4.10 gears and of course a HO engine...what this all means is that the Raptor is a tougher F150 then all the others EXCEPT the rear springs and shocks which are for long soft travel...so I wouldn't worry too much about 200-300 lbs over the trucks factory payload rating...

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
..and note that most folks think the maximum load/weights are for protecting the chassis and/or engine. However, it's main purpose is to keep the vehicle within the maximum rated stopping distance.

Are you saying the Raptor brakes are weaker then all the other F-150's including the ones rated to tow between 11,000 - 13,000 lbs?...I was under the impression they were pretty much all the same...
In California I believe any trailer exceeding 3,000 lbs has to have it's own brakes, so having a hard time believing the Raptors reduced towing rating is because of it's brakes...

OP
OP
Macca

Macca

Reaction score
Hi guys, thank you all for your honest replies. On my compliance plate it says gvwr 6600lbs. And it says passangers and cargo ahould not exceed 804 lbs. Does that mean tare is 5796 lbs? Not towing anything. Is low cargo weight due to baha style suspension setup? Thanks