Airbags and load carrying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCSVT

Reaction score
I’m considering adding airbags to my 2012 and am wondering if anyone else has experience.

I know that typically adding airbags doesn’t mean that you can should exceed gvwr, but hear me out:

The Raptor is overbuilt in almost every area (axles, brakes); the limiting factor seems to be the spring rating for off road compliance. I read an article where an owner was carrying a 1500 lb truck camper after upgrading the springs and it got me thinking about airbags which would allow you to adjust for those times you’re carrying a load.

So: real world performance, would it be expecting too much of my 2012 to carry 1500 or 1600 with airbags? I have to believe the axles and brakes on this truck would be fine?

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No experience to add, but many have spoken in other threads about the drawback to bags being the loss of wheel travel even when the bags are not inflated. The bags will work fine. The Raptor will tow fine. It just defeats the purpose of the truck in driving high speed off-road. If yours is a street queen, the bags will be fine.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had air bags installed, rated to 5000lb. Don’t keep them empty though. Have to keep about 10lbs pressure when not using. I think they’re great. It seems to have even softened the ride a bit for me (‘20) when driving around town empty bed imo totally worth it C4EDDAEB-3636-4E66-924C-31C68B57B374.jpeg56AF5683-5C63-41A9-AAEF-BDD7AE87595E.jpegD7ACFAE7-869E-44EE-9BED-FA8DFD759447.jpeg

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evidently 5000lbs is there load capacity. I’ll never have that much sitting on hitch or bed but it levels the bed out when hauling my 12’x6’ work trailer nicely.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Subscribing because this I'm also looking into because the weight in my bed varies soooo much depending on the trip I'm taking, or even occasional towing.

I'm researching long travel airbag setups, and also airbags that are designed to detach from the cup at full droop so it won't limit travel.

1667945608729.png

That's an image I found at U-Joint Offroad. I don't know anything about them beyond that, but it's what I was looking into for my own truck.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
While at my friend's shop I saw a F350 that had a full Carli suspension with their custom air bags. I didn't take any pictures but it might be worth calling them and having a chat.

SJC8713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing because this I'm also looking into because the weight in my bed varies soooo much depending on the trip I'm taking, or even occasional towing.

I'm researching long travel airbag setups, and also airbags that are designed to detach from the cup at full droop so it won't limit travel.

View attachment 379417

That's an image I found at U-Joint Offroad. I don't know anything about them beyond that, but it's what I was looking into for my own truck.
i installed the air lift bag kit with the daystar cradles. I didnt have any suspension travel loss and helps when i hook my boat up since the stock springs are soft.

Eventually i want to install a deaver pack but this buys time until then. Im very happy with my bag set up and install was very easy.

Snuggles

Reaction score
i installed the air lift bag kit with the daystar cradles. I didnt have any suspension travel loss and helps when i hook my boat up since the stock springs are soft.

Eventually i want to install a deaver pack but this buys time until then. Im very happy with my bag set up and install was very easy.
“Cradle” appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Found lots online now.

Did you have specific airbags to go with them? Some of the ones I’m seeing online indicate they fit all 6” diameter airbags.

SJC8713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Cradle” appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Found lots online now.

Did you have specific airbags to go with them? Some of the ones I’m seeing online indicate they fit all 6” diameter airbags.
I used the AirLift #89412 kit, i drilled a hole in the center of the lower pad once i found the landing location of the bag to my axle. Daystar Cradle and bolted it to the AirLift lower mounting bracket.