Raptor Resources - Learning about the Raptor in a hurry.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just what IS a Raptor?

If you are in this General Discussion Thread, then there is a good chance that you don't fully know. Been there <G>.

Here you will find info of a general nature describing what the Raptor is... What it isn't... and what you can make it into - with step by step details of the many modifications our members have made.

You'll find Videos by some of the most knowledgeable sources on the 'net, Videos and pictures from weekend excursions our members have made that will captivate you - Links to pertinent discussions from our own board... or other boards - some truly funny stuff - and just cool info of a general nature.

You should be able to find something here to interest you, whether you are a Owner, a "Waiter" or just an interested passer-by. But heed this warning... there are MANY members here that "Just stopped by" - and are now Owners. I know, because I am one of them <G>. <--- That is a "Big Grin" by the way... I get asked a LOT. <G>

Just one more thought... I will promise you that you will find some of the nicest, most knowledgeable and witty people you have ever met here. We have many Ford employees, more than a few Ford Master Mechanics, business owners, and a large Military component... quite a few of them deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.

We pride ourselves on being friendly and helpful here. Most of us have been members of the other Raptor boards, and have all migrated here because this, quite simply... is the Best Raptor forum around. We truly are a tight knit family here... not to be confused with a "Clan" that you can't break into with a hammer <G>.

From Owner to Administrators to Moderators... all Raptor Owners by the way - you don't find that on other boards, believe me - to Members... we will help you on just about any topic. The only reason we won't tell you something - is if you don't ask.

Oh, by the way... who am I? I'm just a member, waiting on my 6.2 Raptor to be delivered. I'm not Officially connected to the board in any way. My name is Dave... you'll see me around under the screen name "Falcon."

So come on in, you are welcome here! Just be sure you read my "Warning" at the beginning of this thread. <GG>

It is a incredible machine.

Falcon

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start with, here is a video that I was watching when i got the idea for this thread. It's from PickupTrucks.com, narrated by Michael Levine of that web site. It is a real good introduction to the Raptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO8Qx1WKyB0&feature=player_embedded

NOTE TO OTHER MEMBERS: I started this thread, but feel FREE to add to it, I would ask that you keep to the spirit of the thread - Ideally a person can find links to good general info about the raptor. But it is an OPEN thread... post away.

Falcon

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a link to the article the above video was taken from. It is a comprehensive description of the Raptor and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT) that created it.

raptorintro.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/6m824d

Falcon

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I have a question I'd like to throw out there. He talks about the rear e-locker in the video that can be used at high speeds. How does this differ from a limited slip rear end like in the Lariat? If I remember correctly the FX4 has an open diff. with a locker and the Lariat has the limited slip?

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The Eaton E-locker is a selectable locker that is an open differential when disengaged and a locked differential when engaged. The FX4 uses an E-locker as well, but the computer automatically disengages it above 25 mph. The Raptor, in Off-Road Mode, does not have this limitation.

A limited slip is constantly engaged, but still allows some differential speed between the two rear tires. Historically, Ford has used a clutch pack to accomplish this (I would suspect it is the same in this case).

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kaiser. I bet you know the answer to this as well. I have heard that the reason Ford didn't include a Front Locker as well is because it becomes hard to steer when it is engaged. Have you ever driven a front locker equipped vehicle? Is that true, or did the Lawyers just score one? I have also heard that you can retro-fit Eatons into the front differential. True? And if so, how expensive/hard is it to do, and do you feel it is worth the effort?

Lots of questions, I know <G>. I'm not smart about locking differentials, thats for sure.

Falcon

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wont speak for Kaiser, but in my experience you do NOT "steer" when the front is locked. You hold it straight and crawl forward ( < 1mph) till clear of the obstacle, then you disengage.

Front lockers have very limited use, in my opinion. They're well suited to crawlers, and work trucks that find themselves in rutted mud often. I doubt very seriously a front locker would ever get used in a truck like a Raptor; they very very seldom get used in the Power Wagon, from what I've seen and read (on Ram truck forums).

FWIW

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
So you can lock the rear diff at high speed...where would you use that?

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
So you can lock the rear diff at high speed...where would you use that?

While doing some higher speed wash runs and things like that. Basically, it's some extra grip and power to the ground........but it also allows for some "tail wagging", it's alot easier to bring the rear around in turns when both wheels are spinning.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^ "Steer with the rear" is how I think of that. Very helpful in many situations.