Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Billy MC, you get it! The whole SRT and TRX experience is simply to bolt a big powerful engine into an otherwise non-exclusive chassis and then brag about how fast the vehicle is in a straight line. No one ever talks about responsive handling , in either the on road or off road versions. All of the talk is about straight line performance.

That’s not now, nor has it ever been Fords goal with the Raptor. All 3 generations, and now the “R” were designed to be a balanced, purpose built vehicle to do many things, but especially high speed off-roading well. And the Raptor has done this well, and much better than its competitors. Stellantis only cares about a small portion of the overall performance characteristics that the Raptor was designed to excel at.

If all that matters for those of you that hang your hats on 0-60 or 1/4 mile results, you’d be better off to buy a standard, non remarkable truck, and put a big, thirsty and heavy motor in it; equip and tune it for straight line dashes, and call it good. Oh, wait, Stellantis has already done that!
Agreed on this - I don't understand why people put so much of an emphasis on 0-60 or acceleration for this truck when it clearly wasn't the focus during the design phase. If Ford wanted this thing to be about speed why would they offer 2 other F150 trims that accelerate more quickly (limited & lightning)?? On the flip side, the TRX was designed with acceleration in mind which is apparent since nothing else in the Ram lineup holds a candle to it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I agree the Fox shocks are better on the Raptor. I was just saying the Bilsteins aren't as far behind as many people assume. The TRX and R have more than enough power to outrun either shock package and the guys that use their trucks to that level will likely be looking for an upgrade. I'll be ordering Kings pretty soon for mine.
Oh the base Raptor has the same issue but in all cases whether it’s the Raptor/TRX/R or the bronco in all fairness to the OEM equipment it’s the initial capability of the stock setup that gives drivers the confidence to tap into the power more to begin w/ to even get to the point where outrunning the suspension off-road is even an issue

In a Z71/AT4/Rebel/standard wrangler etc etc the factory suspension is such garbage that’ll never even be a concern lol

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh the base Raptor has the same issue but in all cases whether it’s the Raptor/TRX/R or the bronco in all fairness to the OEM equipment it’s the initial capability of the stock setup that gives drivers the confidence to tap into the power more to begin w/ to even get to the point where outrunning the suspension off-road is even an issue

In a Z71/AT4/Rebel/standard wrangler etc etc the factory suspension is such garbage that’ll never even be a concern lol
I love the marketing on all the mid level "off-road" trucks. Tremor/Zr2 and the ones you listed are all for the slow off-road stuff even if they advertise otherwise. Chevy in particular needs to adjust their expectations on where the Zr2 trucks compete.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically stock Raptor with minimum changes, to rule qualify,fuel cell, cage, no governor with right speed rated tires goes 140 and wins Baja 1000 and then drives 400 miles home. Has won other desert races also,mint 400 etc.
Trx nowhere to be found.
My 19 when filled up shows 628 mile range,uses regular or super, and jumps to 60 for easy merging,can spin the tires with ease, even gets a bit sideways,all stock, on road or off way faster than me and I raced formula 2000, so I ain’t slow. Truck has been perfect from day one and off road at speed can definitely scare you, and I do off-road it. Over 45,xxxmiles. Heated steering,and all the other niceities Only thing I miss is no cd player but got a blue tooth hooked up but not the same. So if you really have a raptor you know,mine can’t be a one off unique special, it ain’t. Love this truck does everything great,zero complaints. Will keep it till it dies of extremely old age and then get another. JMHO. THXS

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the marketing on all the mid level "off-road" trucks. Tremor/Zr2 and the ones you listed are all for the slow off-road stuff even if they advertise otherwise. Chevy in particular needs to adjust their expectations on where the Zr2 trucks compete.
I will say the zr2 i rented on vaca was a nice little whip. Tiny inside with a mid 90’s dash set up but highway ride was fantastic with the 31” pizza cutters. The dampening on those shocks is great on road. Very planted. Having a front locker is nice but 31’s are a joke. I cant understand what you are going to get yourself into with 31” tires that you”ll need a front locker for but theyve since changed to 33’s on the latest model iteration. Every OeM is still trying to even catch up to the gen 2 f150 raptor let alone 3. They missed the boat. Now Mopar has their tt inlin6 , toyota same, keep your eyes on GM. The tremor is a sick truck but for the price when I walk up to one it says “i almost bought a raptor” .

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I don’t think Chevy was going after the Raptor or TRX with the ZR2. It‘s more of an overland truck. The Colorado ZR2 could use 33” tires, while the Silverado ZR2 needs 35’s. Both are capable trucks in the right element.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Chevy was going after the Raptor or TRX with the ZR2. It‘s more of an overland truck. The Colorado ZR2 could use 33” tires, while the Silverado ZR2 needs 35’s. Both are capable trucks in the right element.
Yeah I don't think they were directly trying to compete but they built a weird in between truck with a price point too close to the Raptor/TRX. I'm sure the zr2 is great on the road, but everyone I know with zr2 Colorado's have said those shocks can't keep up at any decent speed offroad. So I guess they are perfect for the overland community ha.

scraptorr

Reaction score
raptor is nice but only at msrp. Because the trx’s msrp is like only 5-10k lower if fully maxed out. Also personally like the interior better om f150 as well as 2wd mode