Raptor r IWE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nicul15

Reaction score
I’m staring at a 22 f150 4a with no IWE. You can easily tell if it has the big axle nut without a cap. Or look behind the hub

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did a deep dive into the Borgwarner literature on this so I could understand what’s going on to better diagnose the issue I’m having.

It looks like Ford uses three transfer cases in the f150, a normal ESOF, which is a traditional locking transfer case with no 4A, uses dog clutches to mechanically lock the front and rear driveshafts, and would be found in a 4x4 xlt for example. There’s a TOD transfer case which has 4A and accomplishes 4H with full clutch engagement, not a mechanical lock. From what I understand this is what would be in a Lariat. And then the Raptor/Tremor case which is a dual TOD and ESOF “Hillock” transfer case, which has 4A and clutches, but also utilizes a full mechanical dog clutch lock for 4H/L as opposed to relying on the 4A clutches.

The Raptor/Tremor HiLock/TOD still uses IWEs, as does the base ESOF. The TOD stopped using IWEs in 2023.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ah.. i thought we were talking about raptors.. so its a full time AWD on some F150s and the front hubs do not disconnect. i don't know much about the other models, but good to know anyways..

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ah.. i thought we were talking about raptors.. so its a full time AWD on some F150s and the front hubs do not disconnect. i don't know much about the other models, but good to know anyways..
I was confused too, because I know the Raptor is TOD, but didn’t realize it’s really a TOD/ESOF case and the regular 4A f150s are just TOD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter