Raptor on the Mississippi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My little ole’ trip pales in comparison to the Mojave Road trip but, I wanted to share what I found. Yesterday I had to go look at a job that we’re bidding on so we could get the lay of the land. I drove 210 miles in what I couldn’t call rain and couldn’t call drizzle; just to get to where the job starts, north of Tallulah Louisiana. Then drove the top of the west side Mississippi River Levee for about 8 miles in the “Not real Rain” to see that part of the job.

TOPOFLEVEE_crop.jpg
RapontheRamp.jpg

We then drove south to see the remainder of the job to a place, not a town of any kind but a place, called Deer Run, Louisiana., 85 or so miles from where the job starts. We looked over this part of the job and tried to get to the back part of the work area but it was still under water because The River is still high so we couldn’t get there. When we were coming out I ran across the last thing I thought I would ever see...... A True Blue, Steam Paddle Wheel!

PaddleWheel.jpg
Front.jpg
Stacks.jpg
Wheel.jpg
The Paddle Wheel Itself

I don't know how old this thing is or where it came from but its the Real Deal. I'm thinking Cilvil War Era but don't know for sure. It's a steel hull and had state rooms in the back part of the second deck and you could still see where the dining area used to be. All the wood was rotten as you'd expect so we didn't attempt to board her, but this was great!

Just wanted to share this piece of an America from long ago that I never expected to see!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is Awesome!!

My dad was actually from West Monroe. I don't get to do it that much but I love driving around Louisiana and the river roads etc.

Anyhow, Thanks again for posting the pictures.

AuPanda

Reaction score
Very cool! I'm thinking we need to get flags and stick them in the ground that say "Raptor Was Here"

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add some other pictures when I can get then down loaded. They are pretty cool. I just can't get my head around running into this thing. Shouldn't be that big a deal last time we had to go up that way I nearly ran over a fish trying to swim across the road in about 4 inches of water then, if that wasn't enough, the State Poice had the interstate closed down while they tried to heard a pig out of the median! You just never know!

I like the idea of throwing up flags where Raptors tread!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! Stumbling on that would blow my mind too Outcast. Great find! Thanks for the pics and for sharing. Just awesome!

JoyJoy

Uber
FRF Lady
Reaction score
The Raptor really allows for some awesome adventures. Love seeing it in different terrains. This Paddle-wheel is just too cool. I've never seen one in real life let alone one that old. Thanks for sharing all of this. :)

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TOO COOL!! That is a part of history that many may never see. Thank you for posting those pics!!

FSM