Raptor in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 2018 Saturday and went up to the Virginia Highlands and did a run from Mountain Lake to Paint Bank. Route 613 is not plowed for seven miles and had about 6 inches of untracked snow, KO2's did good and I played with the weather mode some. I run Nitto Trail Grapplers on my GEN 1 and have had excellent performance from them in the Wasatch Mountains east of Ogden, Utah. My wife was running Nitto Terra Grapplers on her Wrangler while we lived out there and they were useless with over 12" snow, when the treads would load up with snow they would not bite. The KO2's look like the tread width is in between the two Nittos. My winter driving experience suggests that when the wider treads load up, I feel like I have better traction. That's my opinion but I could be wrong.

bobhamb

Reaction score
I live up in the hills of Western New York and we also have our share of snow. I put snow tires/rims on everything I own and my kids. For the few dollars spent, the safety factor is well worth it (how much does an accident cost?). My Raptor has too many mods to list, but I will list my winter mods. I installed heated wiper blades that activate when temps go below freezing.
My tire and rim package was purchased from Discount Tire. I used to buy from Tire Rack, but their prices went up and shipping is over $100. Discount Tire has free shipping.
Tires:Grabber Arctic LT Studdable-LT275 /65 R20 126R E1 BSW and rims: Pro Comp 80 20X9 6-135.00 0 BKGLMU with TPMS.
The tires have a high rating and good on dry pavement. If I remember, the tires are about 1 inch narrower and stightly less circumference. I Have two GPS speed devices in my vehicle and it is right on at 70mph.

Attachments

• 20180208_145041.jpg
    20180208_145041.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180208_145150.jpg
    20180208_145150.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 77

18raptorCO

Reaction score
I live in CO and recently picked up an '18. So far it seems my wife's '17 Outback with Blizzaks is hands down better on hard pack snow/ice. No surprise there. In fresh snowy conditions the KO2 are adequate. If I were commuting regularly in snow storms on mountain roads, I would get a winter tire.

The weather mode (4A + more aggressive traction control + less throttle response) should be best for on road snowy conditions.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uncas,
You're right! When you pack a snowball it is harder to break apart. When snow packs into your tire it gives increased traction in snow/ice much like packing a snow ball makes it harder to break apart.
Understanding this idea, a man named John F. Sipe cut grooves into his shoe soles to increase traction on slippery surfaces. His son promoted this benefit in tires. This greatly increased the traction. As tire rubber compounds improved, siping became more prevalent.
"In 1978 the US National Safety Council found siping improved stopping distances by 22 percent, breakaway traction by 65 percent, and rolling traction by 28 percent on glare ice."
The top winter tires all have lots of siping which allows snow to pack in to the grooves aiding traction in snow/icy conditions.
Conversely, in deep snow you have two choices...tall narrow tires with large voids allow the tire to dig down to ground for better traction; or fat flotation tires to ride up on top of deep snow...

Eddie

Attachments

• tractor_tire_1623S.jpg
    tractor_tire_1623S.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Glacier-Jeeps.jpg
    Glacier-Jeeps.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-All-Terrain-Tread-9-10-15.jpg
    Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-All-Terrain-Tread-9-10-15.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uncas,
You're right! When you pack a snowball it is harder to break apart. When snow packs into your tire it gives increased traction in snow/ice much like packing a snow ball makes it harder to break apart.
Understanding this idea, a man named John F. Sipe cut grooves into his shoe soles to increase traction on slippery surfaces. His son promoted this benefit in tires. This greatly increased the traction. As tire rubber compounds improved, siping became more prevalent.
"In 1978 the US National Safety Council found siping improved stopping distances by 22 percent, breakaway traction by 65 percent, and rolling traction by 28 percent on glare ice."
The top winter tires all have lots of siping which allows snow to pack in to the grooves aiding traction in snow/icy conditions.
Conversely, in deep snow you have two choices...tall narrow tires with large voids allow the tire to dig down to ground for better traction; or fat flotation tires to ride up on top of deep snow...

Eddie

Those Iceland trucks are so cool. :cool:

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ditchplains1

Thanks for the Info, Learned something new today about Siping.
How do you like the Falkens? Better traction than the Trail Grapplers? I like the Nittos but if miss your rotation by a thousand miles they cup the treads.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uncas,
I have had both the Trail Grapplers and Dune Grapplers, and liked them both. Both did fairly well in snow. Presently I have **** Cepek Fun Country's and they are not as good as the trail/dune grapplers in the snow...
My son has the Falken Wildpeak AT 3W's on his truck. He loves them. He's gone up into ski country several times and has yet to have the tires slip. Deep snow; packed snow; ice; slush; all are non issues with the Falken's...other cars/trucks are fishtailing and skidding off road; my son's truck goes "like a freight train on rails". He's had them for 4 months now, and they're showing little wear...

Eddie