Raptor front diff broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UT_RAPTOR

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 17 screw with torsen front diff and I cracked my front diff on a pretty sizable bad landing jump, the gears inside are grinding pretty bad so I know it’s all shot. Theoretically could I just buy a base f150 8.8 inch front carrier and just regear it to the 4:10 ratio? I want an open diff now and this seem like the cheapest option. Would that work?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A similar yet different situation happened to me. I broke a front diff mount on a raptor run…but the internals were fine. I bought a 2020 8.8 off a XLT 2.7 eco from eBay for 500-600 bucks shipped. I then had a shop transfer my raptor internals into the used 8.8 and tossed the stock F150 gears. From my experience the differential housing is compatible, if Im wrong though someone else please weigh in. Id imagine a re-gear should work. I know a regular F150 diff housing works. Did you bust the housing wide open?

OP
OP
UT_RAPTOR

UT_RAPTOR

Reaction score
A similar yet different situation happened to me. I broke a front diff mount on a raptor run…but the internals were fine. I bought a 2020 8.8 off a XLT 2.7 eco from eBay for 500-600 bucks shipped. I then had a shop transfer my raptor internals into the used 8.8 and tossed the stock F150 gears. From my experience the differential housing is compatible, if Im wrong though someone else please weigh in. Id imagine a re-gear should work. I know a regular F150 diff housing works. Did you bust the housing wide open?
Yeah I caused a 4 inch crack a few months ago and had. delta welder weld it shut, jumped again and put a hefty 10 inch crack in it. I'm having trouble figuring out what year and trim fords come with the 8.8 inch housing to buy it and transfer everything over, which year one did you buy?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2020, I own a 2020 gen 2 so i wanted to keep it as apples to apples as possible. I could only find used. The diff housings are pretty cheap off the ford parts site, but they are on national backorder with no end in sight.

OP
OP
UT_RAPTOR

UT_RAPTOR

Reaction score
Okay just bought an 8.8 off a 17 f150! Can I safely drive in 2wd even though my front diff gears are shredded? I don't care if it'll cause more damage to the diff because its already messed up, but could it cause damage to other parts?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay just bought an 8.8 off a 17 f150! Can I safely drive in 2wd even though my front diff gears are shredded? I don't care if it'll cause more damage to the diff because its already messed up, but could it cause damage to other parts?
When the ignition is cycled on, the IWE (vacuum hubs) remain engaged for a few miles while everything warms up. That means the front axles will be turning the ring and pinion. If it were to lock up, there could be consequential damage to other components.

As a work around, you could bypass the IWE solenoid and connect engine vacuum directly to the IWE vacuum hoses. Let the engine warm up so adequate vacuum is available and the hubs fully disengage.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know. I was wondering why my axles were spinning when pulling out of the driveway.