2017 Ford Raptor Torsen front diff failure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got similar grinding noise that is very intermittent. Especially on cold starts, slow speeds, coming to stop and making left turns (sometimes rights also). My dealer replaced the IWE check valve with the same ****** old part and the grinding and MPG's actually went away for a month or so. Fast forward and the grinding came back. I replaced the IWE check valve with the updated (blue) part and it seemed to help. Definitely the MPG's went up for sure. Now, the grinding is back but it isn't consistent. I could go a couple of weeks and not hear or feel it but then go 2-3 straight days and hear it. The service foreman said he can't repair it without replicating the problem. The service advisors at my dealer are very nice but they simply attempt to type up with the customer says in hopes of getting to the bottom of the problem. They really have no clue how to communicate to the techs.

QUESTION FOR THE TECHS IN THE FORUM: If you were the service advisor, what would you type up on the work order for diagnosis and repair for something like this?

For example, something like this? "Customer states front-end grinding noise from left side. IWE check valve was replaced under warranty. Please inspect front-end differential, hubs, ............. "

Just need some help getting the directions accurate to the service techs otherwise they'll just read what the service advisor interprets and not diagnose the problem.

Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got similar grinding noise that is very intermittent. Especially on cold starts, slow speeds, coming to stop and making left turns (sometimes rights also). My dealer replaced the IWE check valve with the same ****** old part and the grinding and MPG's actually went away for a month or so. Fast forward and the grinding came back. I replaced the IWE check valve with the updated (blue) part and it seemed to help. Definitely the MPG's went up for sure. Now, the grinding is back but it isn't consistent. I could go a couple of weeks and not hear or feel it but then go 2-3 straight days and hear it. The service foreman said he can't repair it without replicating the problem. The service advisors at my dealer are very nice but they simply attempt to type up with the customer says in hopes of getting to the bottom of the problem. They really have no clue how to communicate to the techs.

QUESTION FOR THE TECHS IN THE FORUM: If you were the service advisor, what would you type up on the work order for diagnosis and repair for something like this?

For example, something like this? "Customer states front-end grinding noise from left side. IWE check valve was replaced under warranty. Please inspect front-end differential, hubs, ............. "

Just need some help getting the directions accurate to the service techs otherwise they'll just read what the service advisor interprets and not diagnose the problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Let them know there is a TSB about the noise from front left about the IWE which results in changing hubs and everything out.

Here is a link to the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To the OP:
The Torsen units are pretty strong...my last truck (2wd) had a custom install but has lasted for over 100,000 miles and no failures...and I was hard on it...smoking the tires across intersections when every a Dodge Hemi got too froggy...

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those more I read about these issues the more I feel co didn’t that my front diff failure was for sure a part malfunction! Oh Ford you’re just digging a deeper and deeper hole!

Raptor Ray

Reaction score
My 2018 is an early build for 2018 about December 2017. My front end broke at 66,000 miles. The bearing cap on the left side broke clean in half and I have no warranty. At first I thought I could replace the gears until I saw the bearing cap. I did nothing radical to break it. I have not abused my truck at all. usually I put it in 4A on snowy days but this is stupid. The ring gear is shot and the bearing cap is machined as a set with the case so I am replacing the case and installing new gears only using the torsen case. I am doing all of the work and I am going to be out 1500.00 with the gears the bearing kit and a new case from ford. This front end is the same size ring as a dana 44 and I never had issues running 35's on them for the last 40 years.