Raptor and its future (EV Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish I could get the Powerboost in a Raptor - would place an order immediately. EV is fine, but range is too small to be usable for me right now - in the future when the energy density of the batteries has grown considerably none of us would want a gasoline car. Get solar at home and you're driving very cheap. If the trucks have solar on their roofs it'll be even better.

We have not invented significantly better energy density in batteries yet, so I don't know why you would consider that a certainty. It may happen, sure, but it's not a matter of building out an infrastructure or something we can control, but actual physics. And honestly, the energy density wouldn't be a problem if you could recharge at a quick pace. Range right now is around 300 mph, which is in the range of most other vehicles. It's just that it takes 5 minutes to fillup a gas tank versus magnitudes longer for an EV.

As far as solar being a cheap way to power your vehicle, not unless you have a lot of panels and a battery to store it. The majority of people will be charging at night, when solar's pretty useless. I know that your contributing to the grid and all that, but you can't really claim solar power for your vehicle with this argument. And of course, we're completely ignoring all the upfront costs of putting in your solar panel/battery system and years before you break even, the environment cost of the materials, and geopolitical impacts.

It's the end of days for combustion cars - we'll be seeing the fastest, most ridiculous ICE cars we'll ever see pretty soon. Over the next few years I think manufacturers are going to be going all out on the ICE power front as a last hurrah. Gas cars won't disappear, but they'll end up being an enthusiast thing. I already miss the days when my cars were simpler, fun to work on, and not chock full of electronics. But those cars were also dangerous and slow by modern standards - maybe that was part of the allure. The early 2000s were an amazing time to be building "fast" cars - all the knowledge and technology was there but the manufacturers had really yet to release anything truly fast. Now anyone can have a fast car by just paying up at the dealer, and you'll still get roasted by a Tesla.

Oh well. I'll be buying a Raptor EV at some point, if they exist, because like the current gas trucks it will be the most fun car with this kind of utility.

IMO, you're overly optimistic and overlooking the details that don't fit the narrative. 50 years ago, it was predicted that we would all be in flying cars, which we aren't remotely close to. Those predictions overlooked the details as well.

Pinned

Reaction score
We have not invented significantly better energy density in batteries yet, so I don't know why you would consider that a certainty. It may happen, sure, but it's not a matter of building out an infrastructure or something we can control, but actual physics. And honestly, the energy density wouldn't be a problem if you could recharge at a quick pace. Range right now is around 300 mph, which is in the range of most other vehicles. It's just that it takes 5 minutes to fillup a gas tank versus magnitudes longer for an EV.

As far as solar being a cheap way to power your vehicle, not unless you have a lot of panels and a battery to store it. The majority of people will be charging at night, when solar's pretty useless. I know that your contributing to the grid and all that, but you can't really claim solar power for your vehicle with this argument. And of course, we're completely ignoring all the upfront costs of putting in your solar panel/battery system and years before you break even, the environment cost of the materials, and geopolitical impacts.

IMO, you're overly optimistic and overlooking the details that don't fit the narrative. 50 years ago, it was predicted that we would all be in flying cars, which we aren't remotely close to. Those predictions overlooked the details as well.
Battery density has more than tripled in the last 10 years among common battery cell types - it is 100% a certainty that battery density will continue to improve. The charging times have dropped in half in that time frame.

Solar prices are coming down as well - if you live somewhere with expensive electricity it is already possible to break even in well under 10 years. The average system lasts more than twice that long. Solar is cheap, straight up.

None of this is optimism - as I'll miss my gas cars. Electric cars are not the same emotional connection. Am I buying an EV tomorrow? No. Will I be forced into one at some point in the next 10-15 years? Probably.

fts

Reaction score
EVs are exciting for me, I am looking forward to having such a vehicle. However, Three things are holding me back:

(1) I am not quite ready to embrace the exterior designs of the Cybertruck, the Rivian or others. I can get over the Rivian design and accept it, but an F150 just looks so much better to my eyes.

(2) Interior designs are too minimalistic. I really despise vehicles in which they move the majority of the functionality into software that I have to interact via a large screen. While driving, I do not want to try to slide the volume for the radio, or jump through a couple of different menus to change air venting, etc. Even in my Subaru today, to deactivate the super-annoying collusion sensor, I have to hit five different soft buttons on the screen, which drives me nuts.

And finally (3) besides the design of the controls, the interiors of these trucks are not as functional as classic trucks IMO. I think this has something to do with Ford, RAM, Chevy, Toyota having learned about the use cases of their customer base over decades. Some simple touches in the Gen14 F150 are so attractive to me from the work surface to rear folding seats creating immense flat space to the propower inverter/generator; the list is actually quite long.

As a final note, I am not writing any of this as a Ford or F150 fanboy, I never owned an F150 or any Ford to date, and I am a senior who had his fair share of cars in my lifetime. Also, I am not against technology, I actually make my living in the field of technology.

There are lots of conflicts in me that I have to resolve before committing to all-electric. What I want is an F150 Raptor exterior and interior with the power and chassis of a Rivian R1T or a Raptor Lightning :)

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They/Gov should probably start with hardening our electric grid against airborne/other EMP bursts before we get too carried away………ahhhhh maybe it’s me who got carried away……can’t expect toooo much out of these wankers.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score

50 years ago we would have never guessed we would have an entire populace that sits around watching the kardashians while waiting on their govt stimulus check to come in while simultaneously trying to figure out what gender they are and what to be offended about today.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Battery density has more than tripled in the last 10 years among common battery cell types - it is 100% a certainty that battery density will continue to improve. The charging times have dropped in half in that time frame.

I have no doubt that battery tech has improved significantly. That does not mean that the trend can continue indefinitely to the point where range and refuel/charge time matches ICE. Again, there comes a point where physics comes into play.

I have seen studies where engineers are now trying to integrate batteries into the frame, the structural integrity of a vehicle in order to reduce the overall weight. Others where they actually want the support structure to be the battery itself. Not hard to see some concerns about this approach.

As far as charging times, you can only do that by increasing the voltage and/or amps of the charging station, if you aren't doing a battery swap.
Solar prices are coming down as well - if you live somewhere with expensive electricity it is already possible to break even in well under 10 years. The average system lasts more than twice that long. Solar is cheap, straight up.

IMO, you would need to break even at around 2 years to be 'cheap'. And personally, I would want to know that the panels aren't coming from China.

I would say this though, that solar panels are making a lot more sense in new construction where the panels are the actual roofing material. Besides being much more aesthetically appealing, the cost makes more sense since you are eliminating other roofing materials, as well as rolling costs into a home loan.

None of this is optimism - as I'll miss my gas cars. Electric cars are not the same emotional connection. Am I buying an EV tomorrow? No. Will I be forced into one at some point in the next 10-15 years? Probably.

Forced? Are you really ok with being forced? Regardless, a lot can happen in 10-15 years.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we have the technology to do anything we want but the precious metals are not in abundance. So we are stuck with certain legacy ways of powering vehicles.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVs are exciting for me, I am looking forward to having such a vehicle. However, Three things are holding me back:

(1) I am not quite ready to embrace the exterior designs of the Cybertruck, the Rivian or others. I can get over the Rivian design and accept it, but an F150 just looks so much better to my eyes.

(2) Interior designs are too minimalistic. I really despise vehicles in which they move the majority of the functionality into software that I have to interact via a large screen. While driving, I do not want to try to slide the volume for the radio, or jump through a couple of different menus to change air venting, etc. Even in my Subaru today, to deactivate the super-annoying collusion sensor, I have to hit five different soft buttons on the screen, which drives me nuts.

And finally (3) besides the design of the controls, the interiors of these trucks are not as functional as classic trucks IMO. I think this has something to do with Ford, RAM, Chevy, Toyota having learned about the use cases of their customer base over decades. Some simple touches in the Gen14 F150 are so attractive to me from the work surface to rear folding seats creating immense flat space to the propower inverter/generator; the list is actually quite long.

As a final note, I am not writing any of this as a Ford or F150 fanboy, I never owned an F150 or any Ford to date, and I am a senior who had his fair share of cars in my lifetime. Also, I am not against technology, I actually make my living in the field of technology.

There are lots of conflicts in me that I have to resolve before committing to all-electric. What I want is an F150 Raptor exterior and interior with the power and chassis of a Rivian R1T or a Raptor Lightning :)
Why in the heck are you on a Ford Raptor forum if you have never owned a Ford or a raptor?