Ramblings of a long time Ram owner and now first time Raptor owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willywilson

Reaction score
I went from a Ram 1500 to the Raptor. Much better driving experience. Immediately noticed the difference on turns. I had a multitude of issues with my Ram. Mostly electrical and infotainment. It was a mostly hate relationship with Ram. They do have nicer interior finishes in some regard.

24NoVARaptor

Reaction score
The last 24 years Ive driven Ram trucks, 4 1500's and lastly a 2500 Cummins. Sold my boat 2 years ago and had not put a trailer behind the Cummins in 2 years so it was time for a change. Wanted a smoother ride and more get up and go. Enter my new 2024 35" Raptor. Easily 95% of my driving is on the road with occasional hunting and camping trips that go off road.

Things I liked about my Rams. Never had maintenance problems with them. Interior was quality, not plastic. Hemi and Cummins motors were great. Infotanment platform, Uconnect, is solid.

Things I didn't like about my Rams. The 1500's rotary knob transmission gear shifter, sucks. Both in operation and placement. Im tall and if I slide down in the seat my right knee hits the dam shift knob cluster. Seats are not comfortable on road trips. Too many routinely functions had to be accessed in the infotainment screen which had no wear to rest and stabilize your hand so it was a bounce and poke maneuver to select controls. The new 1500 exterior design is boring.

Things I'm liking about the new Raptor. The Ride, need I say more. The motor has the giddy up I missed in the Cummins. Center console shifter, thank you Ford for not putting some dam rotary knob in the cockpit. Seats are very comfortable, bought truck out of state and drove 15 hours straight home with it and the seats are great! The platform to rest your hand on while working with the infotainment is fabulous. Buttons for commonly used items i.e. seat heat is great. Exterior styling, need i say more.

Criticisms are next, don't be offended, I love this truck. Remember the title of this thread, Ramblings.

Things I don't like about new Raptor. Interior is not at the same quality as Rams, Gear shifter while I love its not a knob has a very plastic feel to it (yes I know it is plastic). Other than that my only complaints center around Ford trying to keep me safe from myself. Doors Auto lock above 12 mph and there is no way to deselect this feature. Auto stop/start, solved with 4Dtech's eliminator and some black tape to hide that dam yellow OFF light that is in your face. While in drive if the driver door is opened the Transmission is forced into Park again no way to disable this. Lack of stability of the Sync infotainment system.

Wife has a 23 Bronco Badlands. We are have issues with the Sync system. Ive only done a couple minor Forscan changes, Bambi mode and stereo upgrades but it freaks me out playing with Forscan on a vehicle still under warranty. It also does not sound like the forscan route has been figured out in the 24's yet.

So far, stubby Antenna, Line_x bed liner, Husky rear wheel well liners, window tint, 4Dtech stop/start eliminator, Bakflip bed cover and entire truck ceramic coated. Wheels are next purchase followed by lights. Picture included because what good is a post without a truck picture.

View attachment 453752
Did you pull the hood decals yourself? Been tempted to take mine off. Still undecided on the bedside though. I have SG as well and I kinda like the color combo.

OP
OP
GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Did you pull the hood decals yourself? Been tempted to take mine off. Still undecided on the bedside though. I have SG as well and I kinda like the color combo.
The guy that did the ceramic coat took them off. He said it’s super easy when the truck is new, didn’t even charge anything for it. My first thought was to remove the hood graphics and the pattern on the side of the bed only leaving “Raptor” on the side. The pattern on the side didn’t bother me as much as the hood so I left those. I really like it the way it is which is hood stickers gone all the others stayed.
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2465.jpeg

24NoVARaptor

Reaction score
The guy that did the ceramic coat took them off. He said it’s super easy when the truck is new, didn’t even charge anything for it. My first thought was to remove the hood graphics and the pattern on the side of the bed only leaving “Raptor” on the side. The pattern on the side didn’t bother me as much as the hood so I left those. I really like it the way it is which is hood stickers gone all the others stayed.
View attachment 453836
View attachment 453835
You might’ve just sold me. Appreciate the extra pics for reference!

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@GreenGoblin love the color. Welcome. Stay a while. Your criticisms are minor. How often do you drive with door open? Lol. I actually wanted to look at lines in a parking spot the other day. Opened door and it shifted so I hear ya but very rare occurrence. As for linex in wheel wells, I did it on my Gen 2 and it flaked off rather quickly. Husky much better choice.
I’m kinda surprised you feel the Raptor ride is better than a newish 1500. I felt the Ram ride was way smoother but I like a rough ride. Just ask @Oldfart.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@GreenGoblin love the color. Welcome. Stay a while. Your criticisms are minor. How often do you drive with door open? Lol. I actually wanted to look at lines in a parking spot the other day. Opened door and it shifted so I hear ya but very rare occurrence. As for linex in wheel wells, I did it on my Gen 2 and it flaked off rather quickly. Husky much better choice.
I’m kinda surprised you feel the Raptor ride is better than a newish 1500. I felt the Ram ride was way smoother but I like a rough ride. Just ask @Oldfart.
Hell yes, Rams are like butter!! Smooooooth!

OP
OP
GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Rams are smooth especially with the airbag suspension. I was looking for a change and a sportier driving experience. Yes gripes (observations) are very small and I was looking for a change. Wife says I don’t do well with change.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also converted from Mopar stuff to the Raptor. I agree with everything you are saying. The goofy gear selector in the new 1500's is a big reason why I didn't go with a Ram, to be honest. I just don't understand why designers think that's a great idea.

I've just been trying to get used to a truck again (last 4 dailys have been Jeep WK2's). An unusually WIDE one at that. She's a big-ol-bich to park and lots of blind spots. When I jump in my wife's Durango it feels like a Yugo. lol

MFouts

Reaction score
I had a 22 Ram 1500 Limited and by far the nicest truck I have ever owned. The biggest issue I had with the Ram is, they put 3:10 gears in a V-8 and the 8 speed transmission. I do realize the Raptor is a different truck and I would never go back, but the Hemi sounds great.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did consider Line x in the wheel wells but my experience with it in the bed it can sometimes hold on to dirt stubbornly and I feel the plastic liners will release the mud easier.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. A forum member here posted a detailed video on how to maintain the bed spay-in liner so you're gtg there. DETAILED...lol
Also was worried about line x getting places I didn’t want it.
Again, nothing to worry about here. Just make your standards known to the shop doing the work...no overspray on the shocks, suspension, etc.