Rail Dust... anyone dealt with this before???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust spots in Paint?

I've been noticing on my white raptor that I get rust spots on the paint. I use bug and tar and a lil elbow grease and it comes out but its still a bitch. Anyone else have this problem?

OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything points to it... I'll have to get a pic up tonight or tommorrow morning. All I know is its a pain in the ass. The bugs come off way easier.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I drove to Phoenix to pick up the new, white Screw and after a looooong ass day at the dealer and haggling over trade in's value and all that... I get all the paperwork done and Im ready to go.

The truck gets pulled in from detail and now that its all shinned up, I give it a once detailed once over. Checked every damn panel and crawled all over the thing. End result... there were three things. They added a stupid dealer sticker in detailing (which they promptly removed), the rear bumper had the little offset to the left like I'd seen talked about on here, and on the hood there were all these tiny little brown spots!

At first I thought they were bug shit or dirt but after trying to scrape them off, it was apparent they were rust stains, in the clear coat. The manager and a few other guys looked at it and agreed it was "rail dust" that had gotten on it and stained the paint/clearcoat.

Has anyone else seen this on a light colored vehicle? I'm guessing the fix would be strip the clear coat and redo it. Either way, the dealer said it should be covered under warranty work and any ford dealer would fix it. If for some reason they wouldn't cover it under warranty, the dealership would pay for the fix. (which I made sure to get in writing and signed by the manager)

In other news... the drive back from AZ to CA was most fun I've ever had in a truck! Damn that thing and pass like a boss! DEFINITELY have to get rid of the speed limiter.... caping out at 103 (or whatever) made me wanna punch babies.

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IronX will dissolve the particles and follow up with a clay bar. No need to strip/repaint. Should take an hour max and cost less than $30.

Last edited:

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had rail dust issues with past vehicles and nothing I tried would take it off except for polishing compound.

It works like a charm. Light hand pressure and ****...gone.

Have to then follow up with a good random orbit polisher and some quality paint correction. It's really pretty easy. I use one of these:

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot's Garage

With this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/dmckit6-da-microfiber-correction-system-kit-6/

Fifteen minutes and the rail dust will be GONE. And your hood will shine like no tomorrow.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clay Bar----with someone who knows how to do it. Easy fix..... Doing it for years....Do not know how bad it is but it is pretty common with Ford paint.

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clay Bar----with someone who knows how to do it. Easy fix..... Doing it for years....Do not know how bad it is but it is pretty common with Ford paint.

Not only ford paint, had a gmc truck and it was loaded with it . They did something to take it off but it came back in a month or so just as bad they would not do anything for me this time last gm ever owned