Questions about running at or above GVWR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New member here. I really want a Raptor, but have a couple of concerns about loading one up. It would be both a daily driver and a desert trip truck. I want to take three guys and camping gear for a week out to the desert in Western Colorado/Eastern Utah. I started adding up the load and the number got big fast. Three guys, 600lb, plus water, 300lb, plus coolers, 200lb, plus the camping gear, cooking gear, table, chairs, a decent jack, emergency gear, a minimum of another 400lb if we pack light ... that's at least 300lbs over the load limit. And I'm probably forgetting something. So my questions are:

How will the truck handle with this kind of load? Will I be wallowing along like a pig in a mud puddle? Will it feel unsafe? Will it be unsafe? Is there a workable solution?

We like to go into remote areas to hike. Nothing gnarly, but lots of green wheeling with the occasional blue obstacle. I'd be doing this fully (over)loaded. Is that a bad idea?

I'd be going about four times per year, so maybe 5k miles, including the off-road miles. Am I going to blow out the springs? Will it start to squat like a toad? I say that partly in jest, but my third truck was a 91 Toyota. :) Adding a leaf to that screwed up the front-back braking division and I almost killed myself on dry pavement. Any issues like that to look out for?

I know in my brain that the solution is a 3/4 ton super crew with a 6.5 foot bed. But my heart wants a Raptor, besides, I've daily driven an empty 3/4 ton and life is too short for that. Can I somehow make this work? TIA

Gordon

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear suspension travel kills the payload rating on the Raptor. Deaver +2 or +3 HD leaf springs will keep about stock height with 500-850 lbs in the bed. You could also add a bump stop kit.

Plenty of guys running crazy in baja with two spares, rack, jack, gear etc so it can be done. Also don't think you need a 3/4 the regular F150 will hold all that gear just fine it can be spec'ed for 2-3K payload.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Agreed, it will need the HD devers to support that weight. But you really want better leaf springs anyhow. Much cheaper than buying a different truck and upgrading the suspension.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curb weight includes 200 lb for the driver and 90% full fuel tank, so just run at a half tank and your within spec :p If your going to be running trails that heavy air bumps are a really good idea.