Question about Ford rebranded Retrax tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is helpful, thanks. Seems like it wants to lock in the middle position, but when I push down the handle, it just slides forward and back. Not a huge deal if this is how it works, just wanted to ensure I didn't have a dud.

I've definitely used mine with it about 6 inches open recently, with some 2x4s sticking out. Don't remember having any trouble closing it.

Just FYI, the Amp Bed extender fits underneath there just fine. The combo pretty much turns the bed into a large trunk when you need it. Add in some netting to keep things from sliding around.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question about the Ford rebranded Retrax. My understanding is that it was identical, just rebranded. What I am seeing on mine is that it won't lock in any position as the Retrax advertises. Just all the way open or all the way closed.

Anyone know if this is normal for the Ford retractable cover or is mine not working as designed?
I noticed yesterday that mine didn't like closing around the anchors/clamps towards the tailgate. It's like the locking jaws need open space to lock. Just found a happy spot & it was all good.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that mine didn't like closing around the anchors/clamps towards the tailgate. It's like the locking jaws need open space to lock. Just found a happy spot & it was all good.
I think this is this is the solution. I was trying to close it on top of an anchor. Outside of that spot it does, indeed, lock in any spot. You do have to push down harder to get it to lock in positions other than wide open and all the way close.

Problem solved.

Mark Peterson

Reaction score
Quick question about the Ford rebranded Retrax. My understanding is that it was identical, just rebranded. What I am seeing on mine is that it won't lock in any position as the Retrax advertises. Just all the way open or all the way closed.

Anyone know if this is normal for the Ford retractable cover or is mine not working as designed?
Mine

Mark Peterson

Reaction score

Mine only locks closed. I was under the same impression when I bought it from Ford dealer. The lock has tabs that go through the rail to lock. If the rail doesn’t have a hole for the lock to go through it won’t lock. Everything I’ve read about the retrax says it locks anywhere but by design the rebrand apparently doesn’t. Was upset that $2200 cover won’t operate as advertised but neither company cares enough to do anything about it.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only locks closed. I was under the same impression when I bought it from Ford dealer. The lock has tabs that go through the rail to lock. If the rail doesn’t have a hole for the lock to go through it won’t lock. Everything I’ve read about the retrax says it locks anywhere but by design the rebrand apparently doesn’t. Was upset that $2200 cover won’t operate as advertised but neither company cares enough to do anything about it.
I was where you are yesterday. I found that it does, indeed, lock in multiple positions. Either it was operator error, or the cover needed time to break in, I don't know, but it is working now.

I would try again and if it still doesn't work and the dealer installed it, take it in for a warranty claim. You can reference the part description which I included in a previous post which states that it locks in any position.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ganooch,
Any chance you have the model number or manual of your cover? I had my dealer order and install the Ford branded retrax pro Xr (embark ls in Ford termoniology) on day 1.

dealing with some issues with it, and starting to question if it’s even the correct cover.
the fit just doesnot seem correct …almost like it’s too short.