Question about Ford rebranded Retrax tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question about the Ford rebranded Retrax. My understanding is that it was identical, just rebranded. What I am seeing on mine is that it won't lock in any position as the Retrax advertises. Just all the way open or all the way closed.

Anyone know if this is normal for the Ford retractable cover or is mine not working as designed?

TXSTEEL

Reaction score
Quick question about the Ford rebranded Retrax. My understanding is that it was identical, just rebranded. What I am seeing on mine is that it won't lock in any position as the Retrax advertises. Just all the way open or all the way closed.

Anyone know if this is normal for the Ford retractable cover or is mine not working as designed?
I don't know about the rebrand, but I was under the impression only the powered retrax locked in any position. I coould be wrong and is your powered?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a normal retrax cover and I find that it locks in the fully open/close position really easily but is rather stubborn to lock in between. Not at all what you would expect. So I would say yours is working as expected.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the rebrand, but I was under the impression only the powered retrax locked in any position. I coould be wrong and is your powered?
Yes, not powered. I thought the non-powered one locked in any position.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a normal retrax cover and I find that it locks in the fully open/close position really easily but is rather stubborn to lock in between. Not at all what you would expect. So I would say yours is working as expected.
This is helpful, thanks. Seems like it wants to lock in the middle position, but when I push down the handle, it just slides forward and back. Not a huge deal if this is how it works, just wanted to ensure I didn't have a dud.

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, not powered. I thought the non-powered one locked in any position.
I have a non-powered Retrax on my 2015 F150 and it will lock in any position. It does however seem to be a little more sticky than when it was new. Perhaps yours needs a tune-up or was installed incorrectly causing it not to be level or maybe just a faulty locking mechanisism.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a non-powered Retrax on my 2015 F150 and it will lock in any position. It does however seem to be a little more sticky than when it was new. Perhaps yours needs a tune-up or was installed incorrectly causing it not to be level or maybe just a faulty locking mechanisism.
Yes, I get that it should work on a Retrax now. Just trying to understand if the Ford rebranded one works the same.