GEN 2 Quality Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We do need to keep some perspective here. Not in any way to make light of the trouble some of our members have had, but...

there are 3(?) reports of transmission problems, one of them caught pre-delivery, right? Out of how many delivered trucks? And surely there have been some other head scratching, how the heck did that happen type stuff.

We are a subset of Raptor purchasers because there is a substantial contingent of the truck owning world with better things to do than sit on internet forums and share. Our perspective is going to be colored by the problems because relatively few of us post up stuff like “I drove my Raptor today and didn’t have any problems”.

My point is it’s certainly worth communicating to Ford to get their $hit squared away, but probably not worth an all out panic.

bdubs

Reaction score
Noticed the seat looked kind of funny. After feeling it it was obvious that something wasn't right. The leather is noticeably thinner in this spot than everywhere else. Took it to Ford this morning. They are replacing the whole seat cover next week.
c30b62a0b87e75483fe6e0f49b645cc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Just a note... while this forum is informative to those that have a Raptor or for those that are interested in buying. A couple of observations, the first is the color of the forum pages, while someone thought its looks cool, it's difficult for others to read. The white print on a black background is not good. Second the bashing back and forth, I guess that comes with different levels of maturity. Because of both, I stayed off for a long time. That alone is not attractive to new members.

So keep that in mind when believing problems are isolated to a handful of trucks.

QC (could not even say the word) at Ford takes a back seat to Ford Marketing!

The truck noted that began this thread, was held at Ford because of QC issues, and delayed a few months, and THEN that's what the customer (owner) receives? That truck looks like it went to a bad body shop for repairs, and they finally said, that's good enough, get it out of here!

That's really sad for Ford, a Multi Billion dollar Worldwide Corporation, to push out their premier performance truck, to their customers, in such a condition.

My 2 cents....

pclynch10

Reaction score
Less than 700 miles on mine and the check engine light came on today right after stepping on it a little in sport mode and hitting 93 mph. Not pleased.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Less than 700 miles on mine and the check engine light came on today right after stepping on it a little in sport mode and hitting 93 mph. Not pleased.

Welcome to frf. Very sorry to hear what happened and it's very understandable you are annoyed.We all would be also and hope you get this resolved and thanks for sharing as well please keep us posted. Good luck.

pclynch10

Reaction score
I spent the better part of last night reading the owners manual about the light. Took the truck on a couple of short drives to put it through some "driving cycles". Light stayed on. Woke up this morning and the light was off. Still a little annoyed that it came on at all but sure glad it's gone. I work at a Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac dealership as the finance manager and the thought of having to ask one of my coworkers to pick me up after I drop my brand new Raptor off at the local Ford dealership was terrifying. Oddly enough the light came on last night as I was giving the sales manager at the GM store a ride. The truck obviously sensed a poison inside it.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New serious consequence issue identified,

Improperly secured wiring harnesses can come loose and melt on the exhaust system. Two cases have shown up on the forums so far. Check your wiring harness mounts around the manifolds, turbos, and down pipes.

Trucks will stop running in the most inconvenient location possible.

A few of us were wondering if a thread like this was necessary. I wasn't sure but I am down at the dealer today while my skidplates and subwoofer get installed and the service rep and I found more issues so I have decided to post it so that you might have a better purchasing experience and fewer trips to the dealer. Mine is over an hour away.

So here is a list of items you may want to check on your truck, some of these are fairly common and most appear to be rare:
- Ford Performance Labeled engine cover
- Rusty half shafts, live axle, front driveshaft, skidplate
- Oil leaks
- Transmission issues (there are a few different ones showing up on different threads)
- Full set of skid plates
- Subwoofer (installed behind driver seat)
- Battery tray damage (see pic)
- Hood damage (see explanation, may be unique)
- Fit on bed side rail caps, cups out just behind cab
- Transport damage (scratches, dents, etc)
- wiring harness support anchors (I have found several unclipped)
- vibrations (wheel/tire balancing issues have been identified)
- mismatched headlights
- camera function
- mismatched seatbelt mounts
- leather quality/consistency on the seats

Pics
dea7aafff11170b6daf351af249556cc.jpg

Hood damage was caused by a bolt that was left on the cowl. I had the hood up at least four times already and didn't notice it. When I opened the hood at the dealer the bolt rolled off and fell down into the engine, and that is what we both noticed. It took about 5 minutes to find the bolt. My best guess is that it is a skid plate bolt that was left on the cowl when transmission repairs were made at the factory. Dealer is ordering a new hood today. Sad.
3c414f7572f5064af6e45c090d59ed9b.jpg
d692fa14cfe899a614a8ad63cba204f7.jpg
1cbd7d91bbd47de77ec1197312e39c4d.jpg

If you have more, please send them and I will add them to the list above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Added wiring harness issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro