[Q] R&R knuckle for perch adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In making my appointment for the driveshaft work, I got a quote from the service adviser to do the perch adjustment to the middle setting. He gave me a reasonable price, so I agreed to have them do it (especially since I can't find the time to do it myself and have been putting it off for months).

So I drop the truck off this morning to have the driveshaft replaced the the shocks adjusted. Couple hours later a get a call from the service adviser and he tells me that his suspension tech is now telling him that to do the spring perch, he has to R&R the steering knuckle as well and that it's going to cost more than twice what he originally quoted me. Does that make any sense? I've searched all over and can't find anybody else with any knuckle issues. Sounds like he underestimated and is now trying to get some more money from me...

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never heard of this and there are many on here that haven't done it. I did the middle perch and had ZERO issues.

What all is involved in "R&R", anyway?

OP
OP
D

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all is involved in "R&R", anyway?

Just got off the phone with him again - R&R means another 1.5 hours of labor LOL

I'm pissed. Told him if he didn't know what's involved when he quoted the job, he should've found out first...

Gamecock44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea screw that bro, take it to an offroad shop. dealer shop here didn't even know the shocks had different perch settings and then after I explained/printed out the step by step instructions they wanted to charge 500 bones!

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only parts of the steering knuckle need to be taken loose; the upper ball joint, outer tie rod end, and vacuum/abs lines un-clipped. That gives you enough room to maneuver the shock assembly out of the vehicle without removing the knuckle completely.

OP
OP
D

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I pretty much figured that the "R&R the knuckle" bit was just a cop-out when he realized that he underbid the job. I pressed the issue with the Service Manager and they agreed to stand by their original estimate (for which I give them credit). Now I just hope that they do a decent job...

KTM RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote for 600.oo for both front shocks to be raised to the middle position. I went 15 minutes down the road and got both done for 100.oo + allignment.

i was pleased. :)

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
Only parts of the steering knuckle need to be taken loose; the upper ball joint, outer tie rod end, and vacuum/abs lines un-clipped. That gives you enough room to maneuver the shock assembly out of the vehicle without removing the knuckle completely.

Yup........