Pulley squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so 22k Miles

The idler pulley squeals like a pig when the temperature drops. WD40 quiets her down but only lasts a few days. I’m planning on replacing the pulley and probably the belt while I’m at it.

Anyone know of any aftermarket pulleys that are superior to the OEM? Anyone else have a pulley start squeaking?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope

It’s the idler pulley. I’ve narrowed it down. The bearing is shot. I can hear it. I can quiet it down but only temporarily. Belt is fine. It’s the pulley right below the harmonic balancer.

Usually it's just the belt, if it gets quiet when sprayed. Might be worth a try?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Maybe try putting some a better lubricant on the pulley - not the surface obviously, but WD40 isn’t ideal for this purpose. If your intent is to provide some lubrication, pick up a can of marine grade aerosolized white lithium grease.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh jeaze

Tried all of the above. I even tried chain wax. None of them last. It’s a bandaid anyway. Gotta tear her down.

Maybe try putting some a better lubricant on the pulley - not the surface obviously, but WD40 isn’t ideal for this purpose. If your intent is to provide some lubrication, pick up a can of marine grade aerosolized white lithium grease.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like all the idler pulley failures I've had... over the years, there have been probably about 10 failures among my several GM and BMW cars and trucks. The failure always first makes its presence known when it's cold out and the car is cold. I haven't heard of a better aftermarket alternative, but I'm all ears if there is one.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my guy tear it down. Just too much for me to bother.

The pulley below the crankshaft that’s part of the ecoboost version of a tensioner failed.

So I did what any sensible person would do. I told him to replace every pulley and the belts. Where there is one bad egg.... there will be more.

It’s the only problem I’ve had with my truck in 2 years, running a tune since 6 months old.

I’m going to blame the pulley failure indirectly on the tune, maybe.... I spend a lot of time with the throttle mashed and the RPMs churning like a banshee! Couple that with extra rotational force and it is going to create more wear and tear.

Last edited: