Prospective owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. All carfax reports for Raptors should show the update by Ford on them for the cam phasers, it is a voluntary update for specific years, doesn't mean it has been done or hasn't been done. Saying that, Ford has also extended the cam phaser warranty for all affected Raptors whether they exhibit symptoms or not. You're in good hands, especially if you are looking at a 2020 Raptor, most don't have a problem and these are very reliable vehicles if properly maintained. Most mechanics (not saying your friend) are parts changers these days, it's sad. When you do get a Raptor, look for advice on here first before going to a dealer for any issues, it will save you any headaches. Forums are great source of info, no matter what make of vehicle you drive, this forum is the go to forum for Raptors.

OP
OP
Echo9599

Echo9599

Reaction score
Welcome to the place. All carfax reports for Raptors should show the update by Ford on them for the cam phasers, it is a voluntary update for specific years, doesn't mean it has been done or hasn't been done. Saying that, Ford has also extended the cam phaser warranty for all affected Raptors whether they exhibit symptoms or not. You're in good hands, especially if you are looking at a 2020 Raptor, most don't have a problem and these are very reliable vehicles if properly maintained. Most mechanics (not saying your friend) are parts changers these days, it's sad. When you do get a Raptor, look for advice on here first before going to a dealer for any issues, it will save you any headaches. Forums are great source of info, no matter what make of vehicle you drive, this forum is the go to forum for Raptors.
That is good advice, this forum has already been extremely helpful. Thanks!

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just do it!

Looks like you have the patience to wait for the right one, so take the advice everyone else has said and apply it. Also, it never hurts to look for clean, ummodded, single owner trucks with a full service history. The only thing thats gonna break is your wallet, when you want to start modding it yourself!

Steven_Born

Reaction score
From what I have heard and read on the forum most folks with 2017 Raptors have had issues with cam sensors and oil pan leaks, I would say stay away from that year because it sounds like they had issues to resolve. As to the 3.5 ecoboost, my Son has a 2012 F150 FX4 while I understand it's not a Raptor its the same platform and has over 140 miles on it and the only issues were spark plugs and coil packs. I would say if you can find a 2018 or later Raptor that you can get detailed service history on it and know of what issues it has had as well as service then I would select from there.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do an Autotrader or other used car search on 2015-2019 F-150s over 200k miles. Tons of really high mileage examples out there. They got to 200k plus miles somehow! Saw a 2016 over 300k miles - that’s a bunch in 7-8 years.