Prospective owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a Raptor 3.5 but a 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 ecoboost and I liked the engine for power and torque. I put 60k miles on it and had the dreaded cam phaser issues. Ford replaced and that started the issues. Traded in and back to a Gen 1 6.2 Raptor. My advice would be to get it looked at and verify all required work has been done and it has been taken care of. If not leave it. Definitely don’t go the GM route. Good luck.

OP
OP
Echo9599

Echo9599

Reaction score
Not a Raptor 3.5 but a 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 ecoboost and I liked the engine for power and torque. I put 60k miles on it and had the dreaded cam phaser issues. Ford replaced and that started the issues. Traded in and back to a Gen 1 6.2 Raptor. My advice would be to get it looked at and verify all required work has been done and it has been taken care of. If not leave it. Definitely don’t go the GM route. Good luck.
I’m guessing the dreaded cam phaser issue may have been what my buddy was referring to when he said to stay away from the ecoboosts. So how do you verify if it has been addressed or if the truck I’m looking at had it? I saw a failed emissions test on the carfax for one I was looking at recently, would that be a tell-tale sign? And is that all you were referring to when you said to make sure “all work has been done”? Or are there other common issues I need to check for? Thank you in advance for all the help!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
It depends on the build date. The later model 2020s dont have the Cam Phaser issue. I honestly cant remeber the date that it was re-engineered. I have a 2020 with 25 K miles and no issues, mine was a June build date.

I am also on my second Eco-Boost. That is all I have driven since 2016 and I have had no issues on the regular F-150 and now the Raptor.

OP
OP
Echo9599

Echo9599

Reaction score
It depends on the build date. The later model 2020s dont have the Cam Phaser issue. I honestly cant remeber the date that it was re-engineered. I have a 2020 with 25 K miles and no issues, mine was a June build date.

I am also on my second Eco-Boost. That is all I have driven since 2016 and I have had no issues on the regular F-150 and now the Raptor.
Thanks for the info! Is there a way to verify the build date when looking at used Raptors? VIN search?

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing the dreaded cam phaser issue may have been what my buddy was referring to when he said to stay away from the ecoboosts. So how do you verify if it has been addressed or if the truck I’m looking at had it? I saw a failed emissions test on the carfax for one I was looking at recently, would that be a tell-tale sign? And is that all you were referring to when you said to make sure “all work has been done”? Or are there other common issues I need to check for? Thank you in advance for all the help!
I believe it was 2018 model year and later that Ford had addressed the cam phaser issues with it 3.5 L eco-boost. A permanent fix. I know in mine they had replaced cam phasers and other parts at least what they had told me when they had the motor apart. When I said all other maintenance and work I meant that the previous owner had taken care of it and done the required oil and filter changes and everything else based on mileage. The motor is a good product from Ford they did a good job designing it and really made it reliable for everyone. Mine just developed The same ticking noise on start up when it was cold and then started going into limp mode while throwing codes. The dealer that repaired it had a hard time figuring things out. I didn’t have much confidence after that.