Prospective buyer with a few questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roy Nichols

Reaction score
Hey folks, happy to join this forum- finding some GREAT info here! Suddenly got an itch for a 2019 Raptor. Stopped by the local Ford dealer here in Dothan, AL. They had pretty much what I wanted. Asked if I could take a test drive WITH the salesman. He went inside and came back out and said "no, we don't allow test drives on our Raptors unless you are definitely buying". Keep in mind I was asking for a simple, around the block test drive- not a take home for a weekend sort of deal.

My question- has anyone here test drove a Raptor? Did your dealership allow you to take a test drive before you purchased? Had you guaranteed you would buy the Raptor before they allowed the test drive?

I've NEVER been denied a test drive in my life. I drove up on the lot in my 2018 Range Rover (a $100k car). I was very...surprised at this policy.

Is this what you guys have run into???

WH7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They let me drive one. No way would I buy something I didn't drive first. Find another dealer.

OP
OP
R

Roy Nichols

Reaction score
They let me drive one. No way would I buy something I didn't drive first. Find another dealer.

Thanks man- I thought I was going crazy for a moment, like maybe Ford thought they were Tesla now. I get the truck is pricey- but a flat our refusal was unbelievable. The Sales Manager just called to "apologize"/reiterate that this is indeed their policy but they would make an "exception" for me.

No need- as you advised, I will find another dealer...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks man- I thought I was going crazy for a moment, like maybe Ford thought they were Tesla now. I get the truck is pricey- but a flat our refusal was unbelievable. The Sales Manager just called to "apologize"/reiterate that this is indeed their policy but they would make an "exception" for me.

No need- as you advised, I will find another dealer...

Hang on there Roy. Use this to your advantage.

sure, an annoyance, but call them back tell them you’ll make an exception and return for a test drive.

Lots of dealers won’t offer test drives on Ford Performance vehicles and if your guy just went in and said ‘hey, can we test drive the Rap’ S/M is not even going to let him finish his sentence. Do we really want every Yaris driving, wannabe truck owning tire kicker out there test driving these things with no intention or ability to purchase?

Please though, when you go, bring a couple helmets, one for you, one for the sales-bot.
Make sure you’re not talkative, and remember you are doing them a favor, not the other way around.
Negotiate, full contact rules.

you’ve got nothing to lose but a little time and you’ll get to refresh your negotiating skills in the process.

oh... and welcome to FRF!

OP
OP
R

Roy Nichols

Reaction score
Hang on there Roy. Use this to your advantage.

sure, an annoyance, but call them back tell them you’ll make an exception and return for a test drive.

Lots of dealers won’t offer test drives on Ford Performance vehicles and if your guy just went in and said ‘hey, can we test drive the Rap’ S/M is not even going to let him finish his sentence. Do we really want every Yaris driving, wannabe truck owning tire kicker out there test driving these things with no intention or ability to purchase?

Please though, when you go, bring a couple helmets, one for you, one for the sales-bot.
Make sure you’re not talkative, and remember you are doing them a favor, not the other way around.
Negotiate, full contact rules.

you’ve got nothing to lose but a little time and you’ll get to refresh your negotiating skills in the process.

oh... and welcome to FRF!

Thank you for this post- very good advice! I appreciate all the replies. I completely agree that can't let that vehicle roll with every single person that wants to take a spin. But they should have taken the time to qualify me and see that I was serious and have the means... You are 100% correct though, best to use this to my advantage rather than stomp off to the next guy.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. Also, please video the part where you toss the helmet to the salesbot.

Lots of guys since early ’17 have been complaining about 1) ADM (over MSRP) and 2) lack of test drives. In a perfect world, there would be no prius and all of the worthy would be able to get Raptor test drives. Alas, our world is not perfect.

We can’t let the unwashed peasants drive Raptors, it would be like crossing the particle accelerator streams.

if it’s any consolation, I was serious at one of my local dealers about ordering a Rap, almost to the point of signing until the s/m came over and in dramatic fashion said “just so you know, there’s a 10,000 dollar markup on all Raptors.”

I replied, calmly. I already have an offer for MSRP on the table, I’ll go buy that one then. He told me I should.
I did.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to same dealer for 2 different vehicles over the Summer. Got the no test drive spiel on a GT350, but basically pushed into test driving the Raptor another time. Different salesmen.

OP
OP
R

Roy Nichols

Reaction score
Went to same dealer for 2 different vehicles over the Summer. Got the no test drive spiel on a GT350, but basically pushed into test driving the Raptor another time. Different salesmen.

Man how do they think they can sell these cars? I mean, yes- you need to show up ready to buy...but not everyone’s coming from a similar vehicle. I am jumping from a Jaguar F Type to this. Strange? Yes. But I like cool, fast, somewhat exotic vehicles that not everyone has... I guess I just need to bring my accountant with me to the test drive...