Proper Break-in process for Gen 3:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got over 8k miles on my Gen 3 now and no oil usage noted. Did my first oil change around 2500 miles, then again around 6500(after a 4k mile trip). I'll change it again at 10K, then get back on my every 5K change.

Also, I towed my boat some before reaching 1K and 2.5k miles and some after 6500.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is this topic is covered on other auto forums. The sentiment is the same, either follow the manual or drive it like you stole it. I do not know of an instance of a person saying they blew their motor up or experienced damage.

I am a firm believer of the 1k fluid flush and your good. My ///M cars all had that so I have done that on every car/suv that is new.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few cars over the past several years. The quality of the written manuals has dramatically degraded, compared to even the mid-2000s. Errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, nonsense sentences, information from the wrong model, you name it.

I suspect the people at the factories who cared about providing an accurate, comprehensive manual have all retired. And their replacements know that no one reads the manual, and spend their effort accordingly.

In any case, even deliberately doing the opposite of the break-in instructions is unlikely to result in a failure that Ford would cover under warranty, so they have no incentive whatsoever to be precise about this. Your truck may develop slightly less power, get slightly worse mileage, and burn slightly more oil than one that was broken in properly - but how would you even know?

JCO

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't coddle my vehicles or my children because I'll only be responsible for the former for 3 years and don't want to be responsible for the latter for the rest of my life.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've bought a few cars over the past several years. The quality of the written manuals has dramatically degraded, compared to even the mid-2000s. Errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, nonsense sentences, information from the wrong model, you name it.

I suspect the people at the factories who cared about providing an accurate, comprehensive manual have all retired. And their replacements know that no one reads the manual, and spend their effort accordingly.

In any case, even deliberately doing the opposite of the break-in instructions is unlikely to result in a failure that Ford would cover under warranty, so they have no incentive whatsoever to be precise about this. Your truck may develop slightly less power, get slightly worse mileage, and burn slightly more oil than one that was broken in properly - but how would you even know?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-151722_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-151722_Facebook.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 98

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got over 8k miles on my Gen 3 now and no oil usage noted. Did my first oil change around 2500 miles, then again around 6500(after a 4k mile trip). I'll change it again at 10K, then get back on my every 5K change.

Also, I towed my boat some before reaching 1K and 2.5k miles and some after 6500.
Did they change the oil drain from gen 2 or do you still need a fumoto valve and hose to not make a mess?