Proper Break-in process for Gen 3:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything ive read is pretty much the same with all new vehicles. about 1000 - 1500 miles. and about 4500 rpms. everyone has their own thoughts. wether based on experience or not but those numbers seem to be the norm.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay below 4,000 RPMs or so, but you don't have to be gentle. Occasional full throttle acceleration will help with break-in.

Avoid sustained highway trips at constant speed. Keep engine load varied. Hilly roads are nice for this. You don't want to set the cruise control at 75 and drive through Kansas, if you can help it.

Don't overload the engine with sustained high speeds or towing. You don't want it too hot. Probably best to avoid low-speed rock crawling, too.

Avoid short trips, let the engine get fully warmed up. Heat cycles are good.

Past 500 miles, it is less critical, and largely complete by 1,000 miles.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some change out the oil after 500-1000 miles.

I went to 5000 miles for my first oil change.

For sure, keep an eye on the oil level for the first 10000 miles.

Enjoy the truck.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the oil at 1-2000 with a good quality synthetic and drive it like ya stole it. Only thing I wouldn’t do in the first 5000 is tow heavy in high temps.