Progress on my whipple install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnpappy

Reaction score
Also call Whipple and talk to Jeff before you send the PCM to them. The Ford recall has changed some things.
Also discuss steps 111-117. You may not need to do these steps. He sent me a new wire harness to use. Of course I had already done steps 111-117!

Good luck! You will like the extra power!

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only ordered the tuner kit from them. Got my tune from JDM. What do those steps you mentioned deal with? My kit won’t be here till Mon.

Johnpappy

Reaction score
I received the PCM back from Whipple along with a wire harness and an SCT tuner. My understanding was that the PCM was to be reflashed at Whipple.(why else would they have me send it in?) I gave them a call and the short story re. The tune is, since the Ford recall they do not want to reflash the PCM’s. Even though the recall doesn’t affect my truck. So they gave me the SCT and I had to re-request the tune. Which was emailed 2 days later.
I asked about the wire harness and was told what to do with that. Easy to undo the now incorrect wiring and install the new harness but I’ve got to say that this whole issue could have been handled better. Resulted in a 4 day delay.

Here is what you do with the new harness. I recommend that you verify that this applies to your truck! I expect it does since we both have -14 6.2’s.

Manifold air temp intercept harness

connect the new MAF IAT intercept harness into the maf sensor on the air box

then plug stock harness into maf connector on intercept harness

then route the long branch over to the engine and plug into the manifold air temp sensor.

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully my kit has that new harness since it was just shipped out on Wednesday. I’ll give it a good looking over Monday when it comes in. Did that harness happen to have a part # associated with it?

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple replied back stating that all kits recently shipped include the new MAF harness.

Just checked through the parts in my kit last night, and found that they sent me the wrong pulley size. Should have been a 3.50, but I had a 3.625. Everything else that I could see seemed to be there and correct.

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, Whipple needs to edit the install manual on pages 46 and 47. As well as several other places. I have an electronic copy and will send it if you want. It helps to have it to zoom in on some of the pictures.

Step 132. As far as I can tell Whipple does not make the correct hose for this step. I received a 5/8 hose “twice” when the fittings are 3/4. They recently changed the pump outlet and HE inlet size to 3/4, the manual doesn’t reflect this either. I used some leftover 3/4 hose and made my own. Not a big deal to do but wasted time talking to Whipple.

Step 126 is incorrect. It should say this: (replaced 90deg with 45deg)
Install the supplied 3/4” ID x 64 ½ ” rubber hose with the 45deg –10AN fitting (1” wrench) to driver side intercooler fitting. Install the 45 deg fitting to intercooler fitting. Tighten –10AN 45 deg fitting so the fitting is 90deg from the front of the vehicle (face towards passenger side).

I did not receive the correct 45deg fitting. Whipple overnighted the correct part, but the fitting was not pre-installed like the 90deg for the passenger side. I’ve read that it’s best to not use the supplied clamps so I used a couple of really nice BMW clamps instead. You really want to be sure that you don’t have a water leak back here! Use teflon tape on all of the pipe fittings!

Another confusing thing is that the pictures show the old setup. Really not good! Here is what it should look like.

View attachment 123475

Well, lucky me, my kit was shipped with the wrong driver side fitting as well. You would think that when they change the design of a part of the kit, they would update the parts to accommodate the change. Like you mentioned, the pictures show the old routing and the written instructions describe the old part, but tell you to install the new part that you don’t have. I would have scratched my head a long time on that one if you hadn’t posted about your experience. What was their excuse for sending the old style? For a kit this expensive, I personally expect better QC on making sure items are correct. This will set my production back at least a day if not two.

Johnpappy

Reaction score
Glad I could help out.

I know what you mean! And yes it did set me back a few days... As for excuses...working for a large Corp. for years I’ve got no time for excuses, don’t want to hear them. If you screw up, fix your problem. If you don’t, then I will fix the problem. You may not like my fix...

The other head scratcher is the hose from the electric water pump to the heat exchanger fitting on the drivers side. Unless they have fixed it, it is 5/8 and incorrectly molded so it won’t fit. They overnighted the same bad part to me! I had to cut one of the leftover 3/4 in. Hoses to fit. Seems to be functioning fine.

Post some pics and let us know how it’s going.

The 2014. 2 door, special edition, fully optioned except blacked out hood. Right now you can’t tell it’s S. charged. Until you step on it
4DEDE04D-E2B0-4578-893B-E35E90423C7C.jpeg

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump hose seemed to be ok and fit for me. I believe it was still 5/8”, however, I used an Afco h/e and connected it to their 3/4” hose with a supplied 3/4”x5/8” connector by Afco. Got lucky on that one.

I did notice later in the install that they shorted me a few washers. I didn’t have any for the coils or throttle body. I installed both without and seemed to be ok. I didn’t have very good luck speaking to them on the phone. They seemed busy and placed me on hold for a long time. That was after calling them first thing when they opened telling them about the wrong hose. They were suppose to have called me back but never did. Waited just about all day and called them back. It got the job done, but not with the kind of service I would expect after spending as much with them as I did. Since I know a few of us have recently experienced receiving the same wrong parts, obviously they are not too concerned about correcting the parts list to prevent it from happening again.

I’ll try and get some pics up in the next day or two. You’ve got a very sharp looking truck. I’ve always liked that color!