Processors - Which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning all,
I'm in the research stage of my high end audio install on my 2011 Raptor Scab. I had to rethink everything given the lack of space for amps, subs etc. on the Scab vs. a Screw. But its inescapable that I need a processor to use the factory Sync head unit.

Noah, As I recall, you are using the Mosconi 6-8 processor. Question - is there a processor that performs summing with high level inputs or do I need to use a summing device like the JL CL-SSI? Or is there a 4 channel output summing device available so I can use my fader control on the head unit? I had installed a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 in my wife's car, which did all that, but was problematic (Ive returned 2 for repairs). I see the 3sixty.3 does that and has Audessy (like) processing too, but given my experience with them, Im looking into other products.

So far, Im looking at the Audison Bit 1 or now considering the Mosconi. Any other processors I should research/consider? I've pretty much written off the JBL MS-8 due to lack of tuning capabilities.

TIA

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6to8 can take either a high or low signal input. most of these processors are summing as well. throughout all of my testing, i have found that using the front tweeter and front woofer as the only inputs into the processor (regardless of which one) gives you the best sound. you will pretty much lose fader controls, but with the optional controller with the mosconi, it has balance and fade adjustments. it is the unit of choice here at my shop, and has the most tuning capabilities.

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Noah. I've been on DIYMA off & on (not much in recent years) for a while now, and it seems the Bit 1 is a popular choice there. How does it compare to the Mosconi unit? I see the Bit 1's on the used market there at reasonable prices frequently (sorry, I'm a cheap bastard). There is a used 6-8 there w/o the controller now, what does the controller sell for seperately? What can I expect to pay for a new Mosconi processor w/ the controller? It appears that Alpine & PPI have new processors out now too. Any thoughts on them?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i connected to the audison piece recently and was able to compare to the 6to8. there are definitely more tuning capabilities with the 6to8. i have not seen the new alpine piece, but if its anything like their old one, i will not use one, being the fact that i have thrown many an old one across the shop. i think alpine should stick to radios, thats what they are good at. the ppi stuff is just a basic style interface.

Reaction score
The Alpine PXA-H800 with the controller is a nice processor with tons of tuning capabilities. Much better than their older porcessors. You can control fading with the optional controller. Its kind of expensive though.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noah,
do you also have experience with the Mosconi 4to6? Would that be a better choice for our trucks since we are only pulling 4 channels of signal anyway? That would give a good two way front stage with Sub. Then either disconnect the rear speakers or run them from the factory power. Do you sell the 4to6?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah,
do you also have experience with the Mosconi 4to6? Would that be a better choice for our trucks since we are only pulling 4 channels of signal anyway? That would give a good two way front stage with Sub. Then either disconnect the rear speakers or run them from the factory power. Do you sell the 4to6?
yes, we do have the 4to6. but you should know the differences between the two. since the 4to6 only has 6 outputs, you are limited to your upgrades. if you bi amp the front stage, then you could never add rear speakers. although we only use 4 inputs, its the extra 2 output channels that are available for upgrades that we want. the other big difference is that the 4to6 is a 4 volt output, where as the 6to8 is an 8 volt output.

Spyders03

Reaction score
Otis, do not write off the 360.3, it is completely different than the 360.2. Much faster, more solidly built, and MUCH more flexible, one of the most flexible on the market. Another one to look at is the Helix DSP from Brax, probably the nicest on the market currently.

The PPI DEQ-88R is very nice for the money, lower voltage output but that's not a big deal, but don't let it's price fool you, it is quite capable. The Alpine H800 is definitely not my cup of tea. If you want that much flexibility in tuning, just tune with a laptop and save the controllers for people that just like to look flashy or don't have a laptop or windows tablet.

I agree with Noah, you really do want 8 outputs, unless you absolutely know for sure that you will not want to add a 3 way or add rear fill in the future. Even then, most 6 channel processors don't have the tuning capability of the full size ones. I would also not go with the Bit one, personal preference as I've had bad experiences with hertz/audison.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, we do have the 4to6. but you should know the differences between the two. since the 4to6 only has 6 outputs, you are limited to your upgrades. if you bi amp the front stage, then you could never add rear speakers. although we only use 4 inputs, its the extra 2 output channels that are available for upgrades that we want. the other big difference is that the 4to6 is a 4 volt output, where as the 6to8 is an 8 volt output.

Thanks for the info Noah!