Probably should have researched more before buying a 2019 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

504raptor

Reaction score
I have a 2017 and just got my truck back from the dealer yesterday after having the cam phaser repair completed. It took them a week to get it done, but she sounds good and runs great now. All covered under warranty and it was really painless other than being without the truck for a week. I wouldn't worry about it, Ford has extended their coverage on the phasers so you'll have some extra time for the problem to develop, if it's going to at all. If you end up needing it done, it's not a big deal. The new cam phaser's that are being installed for the repairs are supposedly upgraded and don't fail like the older ones have.
Same situation as you.

Picked mine up from local Ford dealer after a week without my 2017 raptor. They replaced the cam phasers — obviously free of charge — and it runs better. Easy.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am in the exact boat, I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro and have been bouncing back and fourth on trading it in on a 2019 or 2020 Raptor. The Cam Phaser issue has been scaring me as well which has made me hold off. I was hoping they would come out with a redesigned motor for 2021 but no luck. The used market is stupid high right now which helps me on my TRD Pro trade but of course hurts on the Raptor purchase.

If I could just walk into a Ford dealer and grab a 2021/22 order I would have probably pulled the trigger by now but I cant so I am still pacing back and fourth trying to decide what I should do.

Ford released new software to prevent the issue. If the truck already has a cold start rattle, they have redesigned parts per the TSB.

Late 2020 models and 2021+ already have the new calibration and redesigned parts from the factory, they are not affected by the issue. If you’re that worried about it order a 21/22.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Raptor experts,

Hello guys. I just purchased a 2019 Raptor in Velocity Blue with a certified warranty on it (kind of quells my fears). I have what I believe is a wastegate rattle so I did the thing no one should ever do and I googled it. Obviously the waste gate rattle appeared but also the multiple forums on the cam phasers. My truck doesn't exhibit the cam phaser symptoms or noises... right now.

My first question: How prevalent is the issue with the phasers? IE should I simply assume the phasers are going to fail or is it a less common issue than is portrayed?

My second concern: I have heard horror stories about the PCM flash that occurs with CSP 21B10, I know it is directly connected to the cam phaser warranty CSP 21N03 but has ford worked out the bugs yet or should I put it off until closer to the Dec 31st deadline (maybe another revision)?

I apologize for my first post involving so many questions, but the anxiety is a little high right now haha (nervous laugh).

I am coming from a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 with the manual. I absolutely love my Raptor, huge upgrade in space, power, and creature comforts just the 3.5 EcoBoost issues worry me.

V/R tooblueraptor19

I had mine replaced this year on my 18. Rattle is gone, Ford paid for it and the rental car. All good. It didn't have any affect on my performance - not that I could notice anyway. Just an annoying rattle.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I got some waste gate rattle too. Dealer says it’s not bad so I run it, have fun, and enjoy the truck! Agree with others, the internet will make you worry about everything!

Same, while mine isn't horribly loud, it's there but quickly goes quiet about 1 minute after cold starting the truck every morning in the garage. Doesn't bug me really, I always let my truck run 3-5min every morning before taking off anyways, so the rattle going quiet after 1-2min let's me know she's awake lol. I also have the cam phaser rattle upon cold start, but I have the 100K premium care warranty so I am not worried on taking it in until I am closer to that mileage. I'm at 81K now. My phaser rattle isn't near as bad sounding or as loud (some starts I've heard they sound like an old diesel at start) and it doesn't affect my performance at all so I don't worry too much about it. I've read before that if it's not affecting performance or drivability then it's totally harmless?

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Ford released new software to prevent the issue. If the truck already has a cold start rattle, they have redesigned parts per the TSB.

Late 2020 models and 2021+ already have the new calibration and redesigned parts from the factory, they are not affected by the issue. If you’re that worried about it order a 21/22.

So it is recommended to get it repaired? Mine is at 81k and never been replaced. They definitely rattle upon cold start every morning but only for half a second or so and don't sound near as bad or loud as some others I've heard, some that sound like a cold start on an old diesel. I was told that if it's not affecting performance then it's totally harmless.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is recommended to get it repaired? Mine is at 81k and never been replaced. They definitely rattle upon cold start every morning but only for half a second or so and don't sound near as bad or loud as some others I've heard, some that sound like a cold start on an old diesel. I was told that if it's not affecting performance then it's totally harmless.
Mine was more than just at the start - it makes a pretty distinctive, unpleasant sound. Not sure if preventative medicine is recommended or not, but when it does need it, you want it done ASAP.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Relax. The Ecoboost motors are a lot more reliable than the Internet will have you believe.

Hell, if you believed everything you Googled, CorvetteForum would have you believing LS motors are unreliable trash.
I would like an unreliable trash powered Gen 2 Raptor lol

Take it in get it fixed and forget about it

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 went through several rounds of cam phaser issues, and I would still tell you it’s no big deal.

If you have a good dealer with a good service department it’s a non issue.

derise

Reaction score
This guy sounds like a little *****. Take to the dealer. Your answer is not on the forums.