Pro power on board

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the service manual there is very little to go on in "symptom diag" it would help if I knew what code(s) the tech was getting.

Going through the service manual I would say your issue is with the 12v system and pro-power is unavailable because the PCM will not allow it due to the problem with the primary charging system.

Without codes and without having the truck in my hands I would think it might be similar to an issue that has been seen many times on the 6.7 PSD.

The alternators on Ford's produced in the last 12 years (probably a little longer on some models). Have input/control from the PCM (engine computer). On the 6.7 it is common after a few years they will get a charging system warning. But the alternator is charging perfectly. The issue is a wiring problem between the alternator and the PCM. The PCM can't "see" the alternator anymore so it tells the instrument cluster to turn on charging warning.

If you can drive the vehicle and the battery doesn't go dead in about 50 miles then I suspect something like above is happening.

It does say in the service manual that the PCM monitors the primary alternator to determine if pro-power is allowed.

If you just have the 400w system (as apposed to the 2000w system) then 1: that is not pro-power and 2: works totally different.

(By your description I assume you have the 2000W pro-power).

OP
OP
Heisenberg23

Heisenberg23

Reaction score
Looking at the service manual there is very little to go on in "symptom diag" it would help if I knew what code(s) the tech was getting.

Going through the service manual I would say your issue is with the 12v system and pro-power is unavailable because the PCM will not allow it due to the problem with the primary charging system.

Without codes and without having the truck in my hands I would think it might be similar to an issue that has been seen many times on the 6.7 PSD.

The alternators on Ford's produced in the last 12 years (probably a little longer on some models). Have input/control from the PCM (engine computer). On the 6.7 it is common after a few years they will get a charging system warning. But the alternator is charging perfectly. The issue is a wiring problem between the alternator and the PCM. The PCM can't "see" the alternator anymore so it tells the instrument cluster to turn on charging warning.

If you can drive the vehicle and the battery doesn't go dead in about 50 miles then I suspect something like above is happening.

It does say in the service manual that the PCM monitors the primary alternator to determine if pro-power is allowed.

If you just have the 400w system (as apposed to the 2000w system) then 1: that is not pro-power and 2: works totally different.

(By your description I assume you have the 2000W pro-power).
Yes I do have the 2000w pro-power so what should I tell my dealer look at the wires going from the alternator and yes that service charging system soon alert comes on I press ok then it doesn't come on again until I shut it off and start it again but the truck runs fine battery is at 14v

SoCal__RAPTOR

Reaction score
I had something similar happen but with my Honda Accord. It was saying check charge system. I was getting that message because my cars wiring harness has 3 wires that go to my battery terminal and one of the little wires ripped. I know it’s a different car but maybe your having a wire issue somewhere. Btw do I down a raptor as well lol.

OP
OP
Heisenberg23

Heisenberg23

Reaction score
I had something similar happen but with my Honda Accord. It was saying check charge system. I was getting that message because my cars wiring harness has 3 wires that go to my battery terminal and one of the little wires ripped. I know it’s a different car but maybe your having a wire issue somewhere. Btw do I down a raptor as well lol.
Haha that's good to know tho just trying to get some ideas so I can give it to the dealer and hope they can get it fixed because I love this truck I appreciate the help

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I do have the 2000w pro-power so what should I tell my dealer look at the wires going from the alternator and yes that service charging system soon alert comes on I press ok then it doesn't come on again until I shut it off and start it again but the truck runs fine battery is at 14v
Without a code to help I can't give a real good direction to go. Basically I need more information.