Preparing for Major Surgery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m installing the PowerMax turbos and Full Race manifolds myself, and I finally started turning wrenches today. I got the driver’s side down to the head (manifold and turbo off). That probably took me 6 hours. The messiest part of the job is draining coolant. I got a fair amount out of the drain on the radiator, but when I took off the turbo another gallon drained out. Admittedly my truck isn’t level. I jacked up just the drivers side to start.

Half of the manifold studs came out without issue. I did crack a 5mm socket in the process. I had to take the nut off the other three and use a #2 Craftsman bolt extractor. Now in the process of cleaning surfaces and getting the new turbo ready to mount up.

Pictures coming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New inconal manifold studs are now installed on the driver’s side. Driver’s side manifold and turbo are almost ready to go in.

I can’t seem to get the return oil filter out on the driver’s side. I’m kind of inclined to just leave it.

Passenger side disassembly is a pain. I’m going to have to loosen up the starter and unbolt the compressor later tonight…

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side is now disassembled. Please find a few tips below that build on the very thorough write-up of @Graybeard, which I found very helpful:
- You will have to take the AC compressor and the starter loose. There is no way that I could have completed disassembly without doing that. I’m stubborn, so I tried before giving in.
- When you take the AC compressor loose, don’t worry about taking the belt off first. Just take the bolts out, then it is easy enough to get the belt off using a screwdriver.
- I also found it very helpful to take the battery all of the way out of the truck. I could actually see a few problematic fasteners from the top.
- Consider ordering extra fasteners for the coolant lines and oil lines ahead of time. I did not and buggered up the heads on a couple, which costs time.
- Any way that you slice it, the passenger side is incredibly difficult vs. the drivers size.

noorj

Reaction score
It's great to see more guys starting to turbo swap these & especially doing the work themselves. Definitely interested in for more pictures of your progress