Preparing for Major Surgery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '19 now has 25k miles on it, and this Winter after the boat goes into storage I'm preparing to install (1) Garrett PowerMax turbos, (2) black ceramic coated formline manifolds, (3) the Full-Race Radiator, (4) boost tubes, (5) CVF hot-side piping, (6) a CAI (probably CVF as well), and (7) a Corsa cat-back with Vibrant ultra-quiet resonators in the tail pipes.

This will complement my existing Full Race FMC, Full Race trans cooler, SPD catted downpipes, and SPD trombone. I'll top all of that off with a nice Goose tune. I'm trying to make sure I'm in position to do this over the Thanksgiving / Christmas holidays.

My truck hasn't been to the Ford dealership since I bought it. I've changed the oil every 5k (Amsoil) and replaced the plugs regularly, so there really hasn't been a reason. I need to have the cam phaser recall done, and I should probably have them change the transmission and transfer case fluid given the truck has been run tuned all of those 25k miles. Anything else I should have the Ford dealership do before my truck undergoes major surgery and can not be returned to anything resembling stock?

Also, I'm thinking about having the compressor housing on the Garretts ceramic coated code orange. Should I hesitate on having someone in the New York / New Jersey area take the new Garretts apart to do this? Any recommendations for who?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like quite the list of mods! If possible post pics of the build as you go. As far as the phaser recall, that program expired in February of 2022. The dealer can still do the update, but it would be customer pay. I would highly recommend having it completed.

As far as the turbos, I would avoid any type of coating on them. You want the heat to be able to radiate out of the housing, not be held in.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '19 now has 25k miles on it, and this Winter after the boat goes into storage I'm preparing to install (1) Garrett PowerMax turbos, (2) black ceramic coated formline manifolds, (3) the Full-Race Radiator, (4) boost tubes, (5) CVF hot-side piping, (6) a CAI (probably CVF as well), and (7) a Corsa cat-back with Vibrant ultra-quiet resonators in the tail pipes.

This will complement my existing Full Race FMC, Full Race trans cooler, SPD catted downpipes, and SPD trombone. I'll top all of that off with a nice Goose tune. I'm trying to make sure I'm in position to do this over the Thanksgiving / Christmas holidays.

My truck hasn't been to the Ford dealership since I bought it. I've changed the oil every 5k (Amsoil) and replaced the plugs regularly, so there really hasn't been a reason. I need to have the cam phaser recall done, and I should probably have them change the transmission and transfer case fluid given the truck has been run tuned all of those 25k miles. Anything else I should have the Ford dealership do before my truck undergoes major surgery and can not be returned to anything resembling stock?

Also, I'm thinking about having the compressor housing on the Garretts ceramic coated code orange. Should I hesitate on having someone in the New York / New Jersey area take the new Garretts apart to do this? Any recommendations for who?
I’d be DAMN selective of who ”disassembles” your turbos. Probably safer to do it yourself if you are just removing the exhaust housing. Just be SUPER careful with the vanes when you do so as it’s not hard to recklessly damage one. And if not mechanically indexed, make sure to make a witness mark so you can clock them properly upon return. If you want the whole thing colored. Use experts.

Also, 99% of “coaters” use products that are mainly if not wholly cosmetic. so if you are just going for color, go for it.

If you were looking for something actually functional, Swain Tech’s White Lightning used to be the only true game in town. But we are talking Space Shuttle level shit with them. Read up on them if you are serious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like quite the list of mods! If possible post pics of the build as you go. As far as the phaser recall, that program expired in February of 2022. The dealer can still do the update, but it would be customer pay. I would highly recommend having it completed.

As far as the turbos, I would avoid any type of coating on them. You want the heat to be able to radiate out of the housing, not be held in.
I’ll get some “starting” pictures up once I get it detailed. I live on a dirt road, and it is typically filthy all four seasons of the year.

Bummer I missed out on the phaser recall. Isn’t this just a software update?

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be DAMN selective of who ”disassembles” your turbos. Probably safer to do it yourself if you are just removing the exhaust housing. Just be SUPER careful with the vanes when you do so as it’s not hard to recklessly damage one. And if not mechanically indexed, make sure to make a witness mark so you can clock them properly upon return. If you want the whole thing colored. Use experts.

Also, 99% of “coaters” use products that are mainly if not wholly cosmetic. so if you are just going for color, go for it.

If you were looking for something actually functional, Swain Tech’s White Lightning used to be the only true game in town. But we are talking Space Shuttle level shit with them. Read up on them if you are serious.
I’ve been sufficiently dissuaded regarding having these coated. While I would love to have some code orange peaking out of the wheel well, it just doesn’t seem worth the risk / headache of having new turbos taken apart.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll get some “starting” pictures up once I get it detailed. I live on a dirt road, and it is typically filthy all four seasons of the year.

Bummer I missed out on the phaser recall. Isn’t this just a software update?
Yes, just software. If you can find a local shop that has IDS they could probably do it cheaper than the dealer, it’s only 15 mins worth of time.