PPF & Ceramic coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are any of you that spent all this money on PPF and ceramic coating plan on taking your Raptor off-road?

I never did anything more than wax on my GEN1. Taking it off-road and hitting brush on thin trails at speed plus other desert brush that comes up. I managed to get every single panel scratched to shit, even the roof from low hanging branches.

I was planning as my first mod to protect the paint so one day when I sell it that either the PPF protected it and it still looks good or I can get it peeled off leaving the paint in good shape.

But does spending $6k on PPF and Ceramic protect against off-roading like this, because that is why I am considering it? I figure if it does then in the end its less than getting the entire truck repainted. Or do all of you do this just to keep it looking nice and easy cleanup for dirt and the occasional highway rocks on pavement?

Depends on how deep the scratches are but, yeah. I won't be jumping it or anything but, heavy desert and mountain trail use and highway travel is in my future with her. The self healing aspect is one of the reasons I'm getting what I am - I'm paying out the nose for the full truck though because I want her in matte black. Strictly protection and you're looking at substantially less $$. Unless you somehow go through the PPF, you should be able to remove adn have the paint looking like factory if removed properly.

**The kind of brush, trails, and off-roading you encounter/do may differ greatly from me and my understanding may not be comprehensive - always do your own research.**

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

It is not designed for off-road use. I had my Terrain Gen 1 wrapped. I had normal on-road debris (small rocks and what not) penetrate my paint from normal driving on-road. The self healing aspect of the film is great to minimize small/light scratches. But it is by no means designed to do the kind of off-roading that you like to do Rick. You are better off buying shocks and/or something else. I would not wrap the entire vehicle in PPF.

A basic PPF kit for the front of the vehicle is probably worth it. That ranges from about $700-1700 depending on how much coverage you want: full hood/partial hood, full fenders/partial fenders, and so on.

Invest in a nice $400-600 dual action polisher and some DIY ceramic coating and you will be fine for the rest. The polisher will allow you to buff out more than 90% of the surface scratches as long as the scratches did not break through the clear coat.

My Ruby Red Gen 1 that I just traded in looked great after six years because I did paint correction once a year or so. But I also wouldn’t take it through car washes, I would only use a pressure washer to touch the paint, and so on. The less you touch the paint, the better it will age.

Now, shall I email you, or mail you my bill for the advice? :)
Well shit then, screw the paint, rather have fun. Yeah I would much rather spend $6k on the upgraded Live shocks. I figure that, Deavers, front bumper and some lights with a bed rack should be about most of what I need.

Pay you? Guess you already forgot that I took you to Baja and back, unharmed and I know you had a blast. :)
Do you know how long it took me to clean the dirt out of it, with the windows you kept rolling down, see I have proof, there you are! You owe me!

c25d0b139b1e7b730a9c29619355768a.jpg

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are any of you that spent all this money on PPF and ceramic coating plan on taking your Raptor off-road?

I never did anything more than wax on my GEN1. Taking it off-road and hitting brush on thin trails at speed plus other desert brush that comes up. I managed to get every single panel scratched to shit, even the roof from low hanging branches.

I was planning as my first mod to protect the paint so one day when I sell it that either the PPF protected it and it still looks good or I can get it peeled off leaving the paint in good shape.

But does spending $6k on PPF and Ceramic protect against off-roading like this, because that is why I am considering it? I figure if it does then in the end its less than getting the entire truck repainted. Or do all of you do this just to keep it looking nice and easy cleanup for dirt and the occasional highway rocks on pavement?
I live in Chicago area so there is not much offroad places near by besides Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Thats where I always took my last truck. PPF for me is to protect more from everyday use on Chicago highways and streets where there is always traffic and every car I had before within couple of days had rock chips. PPF will stop rocks and scraches to your paint (of course to certain extent) and it will keep your paint looking fresh. Ceramic coating is more for looks and ease of cleaning the car. It does make car look better then traditional wax, its harder then wax and when it comes to Pro Level Coats, it will stay on your car for many years so no need to wax it.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one of those customer grade ceramic coatings before on previous car. Huge difference between Pro Level Ceramic Coating that only certified installer can apply and self installed one. Self installed one lasted me about 9 months thats about it.
Big difference with this new Adam’s ceramic that many installers are now using. I’ve had both as well and spent a few days doing the new ceramic and am impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armoredveh

Reaction score
I plan on applying the ceramic myself but have a question with respect to my hood decal -- do detailers avoid that area or is ceramic applied there too? Also, what about the black pieces like the hood vents and bed rails?

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying the ceramic myself but have a question with respect to my hood decal -- do detailers avoid that area or is ceramic applied there too? Also, what about the black pieces like the hood vents and bed rails?
Ceramic is applied there as well. Also window trim, plastic hood parts etc. No need to wipe off of porous plastic surfaces though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter