Power Steering Pump Bad, or Steering Rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J__Steezy

Reaction score
So after a day off roading, got back on the highway and quickly noticed the steering was super stiff. Hard to steer at slow speeds, and eases up when I drive a bit faster. No leaking from what I noticed and the reservoir is full. After some research and input I'm guessing it's the power steering pump. When I try and turn theres a loud whine. After some more research, it can also be the steering rack? Raptor forum input would be appreciated. Gen 1 with about 100,000 miles on it.

Going try and take it to the dealer tomorrow as early as possible, trying to beat traffic since the steering is hard when driving slow. I'll see what they say, I'm sure they're going to want to up the price on everything.

Heres a video showing the sound.

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m resurrecting this thread as I am experiencing similar issues on my Gen1 with 86K miles. This was the closest match on my search and I’m surprised the OP got no answer. Additionally, my fluid is in good condition and doesn’t smell burnt, no noise coming from the p/s pump and no leaks. I know the pumps on our trucks have been known to fail but I’d like some feedback if anyone else has had this issue Before I get a new pump only to find that the problem lies elsewhere. So far my Raptor has been very dependable but, truth be known, it’s been a highway king most of the time. Thanks for any help folks.